Skip to main content

Differential seepage

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 13:41 #32522 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Differential seepage
So far, no leakage after some driving. I don't think it makes sense to use split-washers on those bolts. More chance for oil to get past. I used copper crush washers, but that might be overkill. The Ultra Black RTV seems to hold everything in place. (Any RTV color would probably be fine, however, ordinary silicone is prolly not a good choice)
In answer to Curt: That fluid might be a bit too thick for a differential. Best for steering boxes that don't require as much mechanical movement in my opinion..
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2017 06:43 #32520 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Differential seepage
I think this a very important part: Made sure the surface where the bolts meet the "derby hat" flange was clean of paint.

JMM

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2017 17:12 #32483 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Differential seepage
Now drive this car to warm up the oil. Allow it to cool down. Do this a few times. Continue checking for any leakage. I bet you wont see any..
The following user(s) said Thank You: ilikescars

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2017 14:53 #32482 by ilikescars
Update: I drained the diff and cleaned off all the mating surfaces & bolt holes with acetone. Used a small rat-tail brush to clean the threads, too. Made sure the surface where the bolts meet the "derby hat" flange was clean of paint. Then I used Ultra Black RTV to reassemble everything (no gasket was used) and smeared a small amount of RTV onto the bolt threads. Refilled the diff. So far, no leakage seen after 24 hours

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2017 03:53 #32434 by ilikescars
I think you're correct, 1748. I just noticed today that another Auburn of mine has been sealed with a grey RTV and there is not a drop showing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2017 17:26 #32431 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Differential seepage
I think the best way to seal any bolt threads from leaking is to first get it absolutely clean. Brakclean works well for me. the most any RTV will seal the threads. The key is a clean surface so the rtv can attach. My RTV choice is permatex ultra copper plus. It is heat and oil resistant. Find it everywhere. smell horrible but works great.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2017 12:33 #32430 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Differential seepage
Has anyone tried Penrite in the diff? It is the best thing since sliced bread for the steering box.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2017 05:08 #32429 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Differential seepage
All of the cover bolts need to be sealed in some way. I have tried to seal my cover multiple times with various methods and so far have been unsuccessful in doing so. I have no problem sealing engine oil pans but this cover eludes me.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2017 16:53 #32427 by ilikescars
Differential seepage was created by ilikescars
I noticed on an original, untouched Auburn dual ratio differential that there is some seepage that takes place around the tin cover. And the buildup of crud is substantial. Since the bolts that fasten this rear "derby hat" are subjected to gear oil, wouldn't it make sense to have copper crush washers on them?