Skip to main content

Insturment gauge lense removal

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
27 May 2017 17:40 #33092 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Insturment gauge lense removal
I agree with Curt - no slitting, grinding, or cutting on the rims ! I would just start rubbing the folded edge with something like a screwdriver and be willing to put in some hours. I would not be using the screwdriver to pry either. Worst case if is does not "unbend" from around the lip then I would start working edge with a very sharp and very fine set of miniature wire clippers. And, in reinstalling, I would not be too concerned about folding rim over 100% like done originally (a few key points will hold it for years).

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
27 May 2017 13:52 #33088 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Insturment gauge lense removal
The chrome bezel edge is ever so slightly turned over on the back in 3 or 4 places. . I wouldn't cut a slit in the bezel. I have a 31 that is well into a restoration and have done the gauges.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: Steve

• Steve
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 May 2017 13:32 #33087 by Steve
Replied by Steve on topic Insturment gauge lense removal
Thanks Curt. I should have said I have a 31 Auburn. On those 3 gauges I cant see any tabs, Just a thin metal ring pressed in behind the glass.
I'm thinking of trying to make a small slit in the ring with a dremel tool and then try to pry the ring up?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
27 May 2017 11:34 #33086 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Insturment gauge lense removal
Probably, depending on the year Auburn you have it may differ. for the 34-36 cars, I use a small side cutter to bend out the lip that is bent around the housing.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Steve
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
27 May 2017 04:04 #33085 by Steve
Insturment gauge lense removal was created by Steve
How do I remove the glass from the oil pressure, temp. and amp. gauges without breaking the thin glass. It looks like there is a thin metal ring pressed against the inside of the glass but I can't get a grip on it to pull it out. Any ideas would be appreciated. SG