1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2019 17:46 #37710 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Replied by 8-100 A Cabrio on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Hi Kirk!
Good to hear from you. Well, in a certain way you were resposible for me wanting an Auburn. That ride in your gorgeous Speedster really made me a fan!
I will contact you directly. Best,
Victor

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• vintagerodshop
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2019 23:09 #37681 by vintagerodshop
Replied by vintagerodshop on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Hi Victor, good to hear you are still enjoying the car. I am knee deep into my 1931 Coupe replacing all the wood. Spark plug wires and ends look up Brillman on Google. They are a Tractor restoration supply company. Lots of product that crosses over. Restoration Supply in California is got too. I have some of the metallic covers as well. Caps I only have one spare that I need to keep for my five cars. I might also have interior door and window handles. If I dont Peter Kelly in Ontario should have some.
Good Luck
Kirk

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2019 22:45 #37680 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hi,
Touching base after a good while of being absent from the forum.

I have been using the Auburn a bit, and getting ready to paint and reupholster it, but before I do it, I want to get it running greatly and find it's missing parts.

The engine sounds great and works almost fine, but it does not give the full power it should. My mechanic went over everything and he is now betting on installing a new set of ignition components, so I am looking for distributor cap, cables, points, condensor and coil, and while at it, I want to find the metallic cover that houses the cables over the spark plugs.

Any leads as to where to find them?

I also need interior door and window handles plus an exhaust cut out valve.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Victor

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2018 22:53 #34203 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
I got it, I sent you an email

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2018 18:07 #34200 by Curt Schulze
Thanks Mark. That was a long road. Sometimes, just some times you can make chicken salad out of chicken SH--T

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• vintagerodshop
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2018 18:01 #34199 by vintagerodshop
I sent you a PM.

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2018 17:40 #34198 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Curt: Your "pitchfork" turned out very nice. Lots of work to get it that way, I'll bet
The following user(s) said Thank You: Curt Schulze

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 19:35 #34195 by Curt Schulze
Yes it is.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• vintagerodshop
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 19:06 #34194 by vintagerodshop
Hi Curt, Is that your Coupe?

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 01:07 #34190 by Curt Schulze
The late cars are like that too Dave.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 01:03 #34189 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
ALL BLACK

More
16 Feb 2018 00:49 #34188 by DavidK
Replied by DavidK on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Randy, if the top was black Hartz material, what would the underside be? Is it also black or would it be tan. Would the pads be the same color as well? Thanks Dave

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 00:46 - 16 Feb 2018 00:49 #34187 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Randy, thanks!

So, I guess that if I don't take the "traditional" route (personally, I wouldn't like a black car with carmine fenders!) and want to get my car like the one I attached above, I will just have to imagine somebody had that $50 dollar option requested from new.

Thanks for confirming on the blackwalls and possible black top.

I am eager to do the car as I described. Final decission will have to be uphostery... as I think I could have black or the same carmine color... I will have to think about it. Is it known if both were offered? Or should I play it safe and stick to black?

I know it will be too sober... but I have enough color in other cars and no black one (except for a model T).

Thanks again,
Victor
Last edit: 16 Feb 2018 00:49 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 00:18 #34186 by RandyEma
Victor .From the factory for fifty dollars you could get any color in the period you wanted, Traditionally the fenders match the trim on the body and the body matched the trim on the fenders (two colors)Most factory photos show double white walls but shipping records spell out black walls . I am like you the chrome wire wheels are enough bling without the whitewalls Yes Black and tan Hartz cloth was orig.Randy
The following user(s) said Thank You: 8-100 A Cabrio

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2018 00:03 - 16 Feb 2018 00:05 #34185 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Curt, thanks! Ok on the two colors of cream and tan, and also the black and blue car. So, I take it that the black and carmine car I sent is painted in a correct original pattern. That will be my model to follow.
One final question: I guess the pinstripe could also be the same contrasting color, carmine in my case, correct? Or do you know what was used as pintstripe color with black and carmine?

Thanks again!
Victor
Last edit: 16 Feb 2018 00:05 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 23:54 #34184 by Curt Schulze
Look close there are two colors of cream & tan + the pinstripe.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 23:50 #34183 by Curt Schulze
This is my car, it will have a crimson pinstripe.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 23:28 - 15 Feb 2018 23:29 #34182 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Curt, thanks! But I need to ask a bit more.... forgive my insistence:

So, from your pic I take it that they were monotone and pinstriped?

What if the car was the Custom model (mine is)? Could it then be two toned? The idea I have of black car with red raised portions could have been offered from new?

I browsed a lot and found the pic I am attaching on the net... no idea whose it is. I'd love to get more pics of it... but anyhow, that is exactly the idea I had in mind.... only with chrome wheels and blackwalls. Would such a car have been a possible offering from new?

Thanks!
Victor
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 23:29 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 18:53 #34181 by Curt Schulze
Paint scheme 31-33

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 17:22 #34180 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hey Kirk! Good to hear from you!
You are to "blame" for my love for Auburns. After that one hour drive on your fabulous Speedster, all the way from your place back to Vancouver, I just had to get an Auburn! Best ride of my life!!
Congratulations on your new coupe. Beautiful cars! And with the quality of work you do at your place, I am sure it will soon turn into one of the nicest coupes around.
Victor

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 17:13 #34179 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Curt, thank you!

Answers 2 and 3 are very clear.

On paint, what I am trying to figure out is if painting it as the Speedsters were, in a basic color with all the raised bolsters or mouldings in the contrasting color, would be appropiate or correct for a cabriolet.

I sent you a PM for some parts I need, hoping you can help me with those.

Thanks again!
Victor

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 12:40 #34171 by Curt Schulze
Kirk, I sent you a PM

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• vintagerodshop
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2018 03:42 #34170 by vintagerodshop
Congradulations Victor. I am so happy to see you have purchased the car. I think you will really enjoy working on and driving it. It seems so long since you were in Vancouver. I also have purchased another car but not so quite in such a ready to enjoy condition.
Kirk Stevenson
Attachments:

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2018 21:05 #34169 by Curt Schulze
#1 It is my opinion that black and carmine is very appropriate. It would also have a harmonizing pinstripe.
#2 I would say 98% of the cars of that era came with black walls. White walls were available, but as you mentioned they wee white walls on both sides. Single sided white walls were not available until 1939. I share your opinion that the white walls might detract from the chrome wire wheels.
#3 Yes black tops were available.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2018 19:40 - 14 Feb 2018 19:42 #34166 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Thanks!

Guys, here are 3 questions on the car's correct general aspect: I am planning on doing a cosmetic restoration soon. It looks good on pics but remember pics help... plus I would like to return the car to a correct pattern for an 8-100A.

1. I am thinking of doing the car in black and carmine again, but painting the body black but all of the "raised" areas or mouldings in carmine. Most Speedster I have seen are done that way. But before I do it I would like to ask if that was a correct possible way of having a cabriolet originally in 1932.

2. Also, are blackwalls a correct item? Since it has chrome wheels (gorgeous, by the way), I believe it already woudl have enough "sparkIe" to it. I understand most cars now have and probably were delivered with dual sided whitewalls, but I would love to know if blackwalls were available.

3. Finally... was a black top acceptable? Or should I plan on leaving the tan top?

Thanks!
Victor
Last edit: 14 Feb 2018 19:42 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• auburnandyscar
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2018 05:41 #34140 by auburnandyscar
Replied by auburnandyscar on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Great pictures and car!
It looks as if you are really enjoying it.

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Feb 2018 23:33 - 09 Feb 2018 23:54 #34135 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hi Jack, and thanks for helping complement the story. Interesting to know it might have shared space with a Packard in the dealership... same as it does now with my 1933 Packard eight convertible coupe. So, per the plate, it may be safe to consider it could have been a few more years in the area. All of the history really means nothing now, but it sure is interesting to know a bit more about the car. History means more when you know it and can still see it, like with your Grandfather's car! Congratulations! I hope you can eventually get it and get it back into the family!

Just as Mace mentioned on the phone, that "Doc's lake" event tag has helped us establish more accurately which car we are talking about and some if it's history. He suggested I should not remove the plaque... to which I said I would but promised to keep the plaque but attached with a magnet to the dashboard, not permanently attached as it is now... which by the way was set there to cover a hole that probably should not exist and I will eventually correct.

And just as "Doc's lake" may be a landmark in the area the car was originally from, I am attaching a few pics of the car with a couple of the many landmarks we have here in Queretaro... an acueduct built around 1730 to bring water to the city, and the old train station, built in 1903. Queretaro never was a very important city... therefore the size of the station.

Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 23:54 by 8-100 A Cabrio. Reason: Pics not loading correctly...

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
09 Feb 2018 21:41 #34134 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Hello Again , Victor, You are really establishing great provenance on your cabriolet. If it was sold new in Omaha, Nebraska the Auburn dealer was Mcininch Moto Company at 2017 Harney Street , Omaha, Nebraska. They were a Packard dealer as well. I am familiar with the dealer named because my grandfather purchased new from the same dealer a 1932 Auburn 12-160A brougham which is still on the road and owned by an ACD Club member. As to the Omaha period you indicate it ended in 1961. The dash tag showing attendance at a car event in 1963 says otherwise. "Doc" Elsner of Crete, Nebraska was a big time member of the Omaha car clubs and owned a Duesenberg J Tourster. Keep us posted on your great car, Jack Richards @ Chesterfield, MO , USA

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Feb 2018 20:48 - 09 Feb 2018 23:00 #34133 by 8-100 A Cabrio
I talked to Mace Maynard and he is a really great guy! He spent quite a while with me on the phone going over the car's history, what he did to it, and even gave some hints and directions as to how to solve the dual axle ratio problem (not working now).

This is what I got on the car's story:
- The car was sold originally in Omaha, Nebraska (that is what Mace thinks) and stayed there till 1959-1961 when it was advertised for sale for $750.
- It went to NW Illinois, where it was restored. Mace does not remember the place but it was apparently done by a man with one arm only. The car was apparently painted in an incorrect pattern for a 8-100A convertible, with the contrasting color on the top.
- From there, the story is not quite clear or better said, quite confussing, but he mentions the car was in Hawaii apparently on two different ocassions, having being sold by a dealer in Colorado.
- According to Randy, it was also in California in the late sixties and auctioned by RM in 1984.
- Mace said the car was at some point owned by somebody in Kentucky.
- Then, by Glenn Church from Illinois. Mace buys the car from the estate of Glenn Church who had been dead for 11 years. That should have been around 1994 and he had it for about 5-6 years. During his ownership, he had all the mechanical components done (engine, axles, driveshaft, he balanced the wood wheels and got dual sided whitewall tires, etc.) by Freemont auto in Freemont, OH. He mentions the car was very complete and very correct, including carburator and fuel pump, and it could ride to about 70-75 mph with great ease and no vibration on the wheels. By that time, the car had vinyl interior with good craftmanship on the seat but not on the doors.
- He sells the car around 2000, to Tim Wilson who is a mechanic and used and enjoyed the car in old car rallies. During his ownership he installed a new clutch , new wood on the rumble seat , built linkage for the pilot ray lights and had the radiator recored. Tim also had a new top made plus new upholstery, unfortunately in vynil again. He installed the beautiful chrome wire wheels and Firestone one sided whitewall tires. He had the car for around 13 years and sells it due to a divorce.
- He sells it to Jose Rivero Colado in 2013, who imports it to Mexico and in 2016 he gives it as payment for another classic to a friend of mine from whom I get it in September 2016.
If somebody can complement the story, I would appreciate it.
No wonder that with all the work that Mace had done plus Tim's expertise as a mechanic, the car really rides great. I only need to get the dual ratio working and find the exhaust cut out for it.
I plan to do a cosmetic restoration on it, maintain the black with carmine combination but change the pattern (I need to find out the correct way that was used on 8-100A... any help will be appreciated).
I also intend to do leather upholstery (I am debating with myself over using leather matching the carmine color or black, and see if i can find a snakeskin pattern leather, as I read in some other posts that it was used by Auburn in those years).
Enough for now... thanks!
Victor
Last edit: 09 Feb 2018 23:00 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Feb 2018 16:26 #34124 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Thank you! I am very interested to talk to Mace also! Tim Wilson confirmed he purchased the car from Mason Maynard (from Chicago, he said, and we are obviously talking about the same person) and that he made new top and interior, plus some mechanical work, including new radiator core. He enjoyed the car a lot in old car rallies... and though it was a "keeper" he eventually sold it because of a divorce.

He also confirmed that the dual ratio axle worked when he had it, so it shouldn't be too complicated to get it running again. I will get to that soon.

What I did try to do is to look into the exhaust valve, but unfortunately there is non. It was removed at some point, so I have to look for one also.

Thanks!
Victor

• convertiblesforever
  • Registered
More
08 Feb 2018 15:36 #34123 by convertiblesforever
Replied by convertiblesforever on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
Mace called me this morning and asked that I provide the new owner with his cell number. I have sent you sir a private message. Mace is anxious to visit with you. Thank you. (Hi Mike!!)

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
08 Feb 2018 15:22 #34122 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
That is indeed Mace's old 8-100A. I have some great memories of that one.

Mike
8-100A

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 15:32 #34108 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hi Curt: I don't have the body tag in my car, but I found a pic on the net I can send you. I will PM directly, as you might also have or posibly could refer me to a source for the spark plug cable distributor cap cover thing, spinner wheel tool, set of dasboard knobs, original key blanks and a few more items I will be needing.
Thanks!
Victor

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 15:25 #34107 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Thank you, Jack. I already dropped a line to Tim Wilson and he responded confirming that is used to be his car and that he will gladly share details and story on it. He offered to get back to me.
I can see so far that this is a great club with lots of support... and a great forum. Thank you guys!

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 15:06 #34106 by Jonathan Richards
Reading through your initial post again it occurs to me that the dashboard tag with reference to "Welcome to Doc's Lake " and the Iowa Region of CCCA in summer of 1963 might refer to long time ACD member Doc Elsner of Crete, Nebraska. This is a speculative shot in the dark, Jack Richards

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 14:56 #34105 by Jonathan Richards
Hi, Curt, Remember Victor's car does not have a body tag. Regards, Jack Richards.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 14:54 #34104 by Jonathan Richards
Good Morning, Victor, You could always try the old fashioned means of contact with Mr. Wilson , i.e. send him a letter at the Cape May , NJ address we have provided. We have gotten so used to instant communication on the internet/E-mail that we tend to forget about "snail mail". Hope you can talk with Mr. Wilson about your car's history. Keep us posted, Jack Richards

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 12:46 #34103 by Curt Schulze
I have 34-36 Limousine body tags they may be the same. Post a pix of yours.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: convertiblesforever, 8-100 A Cabrio

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 04:58 #34101 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hi, Jonathan!
Thanks a lot for the information! I will contact mr. Wilson and see if he can share whatever he knows on the history of the car.
I sincerely appreciate your help,
Victor

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 04:32 #34100 by Jonathan Richards
Hello, Victor, My 2011-2012 ACD Club Membership Directory shows that Tim Wilson ( Membership #2120) lived at 733 Shun Pike Road , cape May , New Jersey 08204 with Home Phone # Area 609/ 425-1301 and E-mail address [email protected] . He listed as owned a 1932 Auburn 8-100A Cabriolet. Welcome to the ACD Club. Sincerely, Jonathan Richards at Chesterfieldm Missouri

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 02:49 #34098 by 8-100 A Cabrio
My car did have wood wheels! They were given to me. So, perhaps the car is the one you are referring to.

I intend to keep the chromed wire wheels with the car, as they are really gorgeous, but perhaps with black walls as I think the chrome will give the car enough sparkle, if that is the word (sorry, I am not native in English). I will keep the wood wheels just in case.

Thanks,
Victor

• convertiblesforever
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 01:41 #34097 by convertiblesforever
Replied by convertiblesforever on topic 1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico
That one looks like Mace Maynards '32 and he had wood wheels on it. He told me that the party he sold it to upgraded to chrome wire wheels. Maybe he will chime in. Still nice looking!

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 01:02 #34096 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Thank you, Randy, for the info of the car. Glad you have it registered.

The title, dated 2006 is to the name of: Timothy C Wilson, in Cape May, NJ,, and it was imported into Mexico in 2013, so, yes!... it has clearly traveled around!

Victor

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Feb 2018 00:31 - 06 Feb 2018 00:32 #34095 by 8-100 A Cabrio
Thanks a lot Randy! I appreciate it.
Does anybody reproduce the Limousine body co. tag? I just became a member of the ACD club, but have no info or directory yet.
Victor
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 00:32 by 8-100 A Cabrio.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2018 21:34 #34094 by RandyEma
The Limousine. body co number is L27-4530 .R

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2018 18:50 #34092 by RandyEma
Hello Yes the car has traveled around . I have seen it in Calif in the late 60s and at Barret Jackson in 1984 and I do have the body #. R

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2018 05:19 - 06 Feb 2018 15:58 #34090 by 8-100 A Cabrio
More pics...
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Feb 2018 15:58 by 8-100 A Cabrio. Reason: Add more pics.

• 8-100 A Cabrio
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2018 04:32 - 05 Feb 2018 05:08 #34088 by 8-100 A Cabrio
1932 Auburn 8-100-A Cabriolet in Mexico was created by 8-100 A Cabrio
Hi all… first post in years! I live in Mexico and I collect and restore old cars down here. A few months ago I got my first Auburn, a 1932 8-100 A Cabriolet. I just used a bit to start to know it and see how everything worked… it does mostly good but I do need to get the two speed axle working (it is stuck in the high position now and I live in a hilly area which makes it feel really underpowered). I also need to check on the gas and oil gage, and the open exhaust/shock absorber control. I have been searching the forum looking for information and learning about the car, find it’s missing parts, get everything working properly in order to do a cosmetic restoration soon.

I live in Mexico, and bought the car down here, but it was imported from the US a few years ago. The car seems to have been an older restoration in the US to which chrome wheels have been added, instead of the wood wheels, which I also got with the car. It is a black with carmine red car, but I am not sure if it is painted in the correct pattern. Anyhow, I have some thoughts about leaving the color combination but redo it in a different pattern and add blackwalls and a black top, if all of that was an available combination, as I want to do the car as correct as possible.

The car’s data plate says:
Model 8-100-A
Ser. No. 3879F
Engine No. GU67778

Unfortunately there is no Limousine body data plate

There is a plate affixed to the dashboard that says “Welcome to Doc’s lake / June 22-23 1963 / Iowa region C.C.C.A.”

Being an old “collector” car, I would like to ask if anybody knows anything about it, perhaps something on it’s prior history?

I have several questions, but for starters, I would like know recommended sources for parts. The car is mostly very complete, but I need at least the distributor and cable metallic covers, a set of dashboard pull and switch knobs, wire wheel removal tool, rubber running board covers and surely some regular maintenance items.

Thanks in advance!
Victor

Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Feb 2018 05:08 by 8-100 A Cabrio. Reason: Add pics