1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation

More
15 Apr 2018 11:55 #34462 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Mr. WinnAuburn I found a early two speed rear diff. for you. Send an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: WinAuBurn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2018 14:03 #34463 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Carter BB1 Carburetors come in a variety of sizes as to throats and jetting - my experience is they are great to get a car running that does not have a carb, but when it comes time to do anything other than idle in the garage it is best to find what the car originally came with as new equipment. I use to see people fooling with them in their late 20's and early 30's Frankins - just not enough carb for the cubic inches to get eny high end performance - and they lost a ton of potential out of their cars.

JMM

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
15 Apr 2018 16:41 #34465 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Eureka! After nearly 5 days soaking, tapping, heating, & cooling we managed to free up the heat riser. We were about to remove the manifolds but a mix of ATF fluid, Acetone, along with a shot of PB Blaster for good measure finally freed the riser and we can move it freely. Hopefully this will open up the door to get our engine started.

John, I agree it would be good to have an original Schebler or possibly Stromberg carburetor for this engine. Short term, we’ll see if we can get the Carter BB1 (we think 289SD) running with the car so we can test other things. We do have a service kit on it’s way.

Jack, reading about the fire does point one towards an arrestor of some type just for extra security. I’m sure if everything was working correctly it might not be needed. Unfortunately there is little room to fit one it seems.

Curt, thank you, that’s excellent news. We’ll investigate this option for the 2-speed rear. That didn’t take long, I need to find you a bigger challenge!

More
16 Apr 2018 00:45 #34468 by gnutting
gnutting replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
fire arrestor: I wound up fitting a piece of wire screen, as a temporary 'fix'. flame won't go thru a screen, I am assured by an engineer friend. meant fo post this, have gotten away from it. of course, you only need the arrestor if something goes wrong, but that's what it is for, when something goes wrong.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
16 Apr 2018 03:59 #34469 by mikespeed35
mikespeed35 replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Before you get too far with this motor you might want to run a compression check. No need to get it running for this and will give you some indication of the motors condition.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum User
  • Forum User
More
16 Apr 2018 13:47 #34473 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Jack, I like that idea – thanks.

Mike, makes sense. In fact Bob and I discussed that over the weekend and I ordered a compression adapter to work with our cars. If it helps others, the adapter is A-12405-ADP or 28-20987-1 and is commonly used with the Ford Model As of the same era. Hopefully we can get some compression figures later in the week.

Time to create page: 0.090 seconds