Skip to main content

Recommendation on Tube Brands and sources 600/650-17???

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2018 14:56 #34343 by Curt Schulze
I run Lester 600/650 (really 6:00's) in the sidemount pockets & the Bedfords on all fours. If you want originality, ditch the white-walls or have them on both sides of the tire . Single sided white-walls first appeared in 1939. If you follow the AACA forums at all , you would steer clear of the 'other tire company'.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: johnmereness

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• WinAuBurn
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2018 14:25 #34342 by WinAuBurn
Was the 600/650-17 original equipment for the ’31 Auburn? We currently have 700’s but are looking to change these out to prepare our car for vintage rallying. Those of you following our thread on this know there have been many questions about correct gearing which begs a question. Switching from say a Lester 600/650-17 up to say a Coker/BFG 750 provides a gearing adjustment of around 15 if my math is correct. Are the 750’s ok for this setup if we want longer gearing? I do like the cut of the Bedford 750-17.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2018 21:07 #34340 by Curt Schulze
These Bedfords came from Lucas

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2018 20:28 #34339 by curtiss
I looked at Lucas and it appears their Firestone is also 4 ply, not sure if they are the same tire as Coker or not but same spec. in the whitewall 600/650-17

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2018 20:23 #34338 by Curt Schulze
NO, check out post #2

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2018 19:01 #34337 by curtiss
Is there a source for the 6 ply Firestone or are we stuck with what we can get form Coker?

More
19 Mar 2018 17:46 #34336 by DavidK
Just for reference, a 600/650 - 17 Firestone from Coker, four ply tire versus a 6 ply tire, are not the same size and have different tread. The six ply has the same zig zap patter but more aggressive looking.
Dave

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2018 17:24 #34335 by Curt Schulze
Lucas Tire Co.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Mar 2018 15:32 #34334 by curtiss
We are getting ready to replace the tires on our 31 Auburn which at this point I am planning on getting form Coker Tire. In the past when I bought there tubes years ago I had issues so I figured I would ask what your experience has been regarding tube brands and sources.

If you were buying new tubes today what would your tube recommendation be? I see some with rubber stems and some with Nickel stems, Also recommendations for the inner rubber rim flap?