Skip to main content

gas tank pics

More
12 Feb 2018 17:23 #34146 by kjo
Replied by kjo on topic gas tank pics
Mike: This is Keith Olszewski: I an not too experienced using the ACD Forum, but I found this topic on Cord 810 / 812 gas tanks. I am looking for a gas tank for my Cord 812, either a reasonably price new one or a good, refurbished, used tank. I asked Pat Leahy and Jim O'Brien, and they suggested contacting Sheldon Rier (I have but have not heard back), or take my beat up & patched tank to a radiator shop that can work on it. Do you happen to know of a new or used tank available? I hppe all is well and your winter "up north" has not been too bad :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2017 05:28 #33866 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic gas tank pics

mikespeed35 wrote: You do realize that RTV is not for use in gas applications
CORDiallyMike.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Dec 2017 04:49 #33865 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic gas tank pics
You do realize that RTV is not for use in gas applications
CORDiallyMike.

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
14 Dec 2017 23:32 #33864 by 1748 S
Well its taken me plenty of time to get my gas tank clean. Its now ready for the Cad plating. This was a very involved cleaning because of the nearly 3/8 inch of crud covering the bottom of the tank. It was so bad the suction line was completeley plugged up. I will be removing the copper line from the top cover of the tank and silver soldier in a new piece. Was lucky to find a piece of heavy wall copper tube in my shop.Sometimes we get lucky I guess. Notice how the tank baffles are made into the tank. Seems they are a copper brad that has been soldiered in place.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2016 00:49 #32064 by 1748 S
First off this was a dangerous issues. Gas tanks no matter how old they are have fuel vapors in them. I decided to make a C02 blanket using dry ice and water. So 3 gallons of water and 3 lbs of dry ice made a great blanket. It worked so well C02 flowed out the fill spout and the open sender unit hole. Tested with a flame and got no explosion as I figured. Then used my oxy acetylene torch to melt the leading. then while hot I unscrewed the sheet metal screws for the neck. BTW this was a bad design not being able to properly secure the fill neck flange to the top of the tank. It was bound to leak. With todays RTV availability I see no reason for a leaky gas tank. Now my suction was a mess. It was soldiered to the bottom of the tank. I was able to see where it was leaded to the drain plug flange with my new cheapy borescope that works with my cell phone.. It was about the best 12 bucks I have spent this year..... So with my torch I heated it up and removed the drain flange. Gosh was this copper line really plugged. So now Its time to have the tank cleaned out and cad plated. I will post more pics as I become more familiar with the method.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2016 00:31 - 19 Dec 2016 00:39 #32063 by 1748 S
gas tank pics was created by 1748 S
hope these pics come thru
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Dec 2016 00:39 by 1748 S. Reason: can't post pics. Well finally figured the pic posting issues out with help from Tom Lee.. Thanks Tom. So these are pics on the fill line ring. As you can see it is not well secured to the tank beca