Skip to main content

812 SC Beverly for sale

• Joe Holderman
  • Registered
More
31 May 2017 18:57 - 31 May 2017 18:58 #33099 by Joe Holderman
Replied by Joe Holderman on topic 812 SC Beverly for sale
Found this pic I took at the 2011 Festival. Seems to be same car?

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 May 2017 18:58 by Joe Holderman.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 22:02 #32887 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 812 SC Beverly for sale
I am told the non-resourceful S/C search or the search without proper luck or proper timing could easily be 25K - some of the parts like the proper carb, air cleaner, and .. are a bear. Fortunately, if you go that route you are not alone and plenty of help, as well as at times very nice reproduction parts.

JMM

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 18:29 #32886 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic 812 SC Beverly for sale
Thank you very much for this information. 15K sounds very reasonable for placing a S/C into the Cord.
One aspect of this club that I truly admire is that many of the club members go to great lengths to maintain or restore the originality of their cars, be them drivers or show cars. This is much an expression of the passion we share for these works of art. Though I want to be able to drive the 812, I also want to put it back the way it was when it came of the assembly line. For me, I think the 812 is going to be more enjoyable than the L-29, though I love my L-29.

Any help with getting the S/C back into the 812 is greatly appreciated. First step is to get the car home and get it a through review.

Cheers,

John

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 16:39 #32885 by johnmereness
When Doug had the car he called me about two months prior to Auburn Cord Duesenberg Festival and in that period of time I called all the Kings Horseman and was able to source most all the cars needed to get S/C into the car. I have gone down the putting S/C back trail several times now and about the best pricing I have been able to find most the parts is about 15K (and I am told that I was very resourceful - especially for quality parts). I have plenty of people tell me S/C is not all that great for regular touring/driving and I have had plenty of people tell me that S/C is not too much a problem and that I am mechanically inclined enough to master it. My dad usually is kicking and screaming when I look at a Cord (his cousin had one for a while in the 1950's and he has had plenty of friends with them over time) and he has only recently become more receptive to Cords - that being said I am now restoring an Auburn 852 Phaeton (non-S/C) and he is pleased with that choice. I will say that pre-1953 (1953 being introduction of power steering and brakes on various cars), a well sorted Cord is perhaps the best driving car and an Auburn is a close second - far better road feel than anything contemporary to each.

JMM

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 15:42 - 08 May 2017 15:45 #32884 by johnmereness
Hopefully, it currently has an original style engine in the car (there was a proper year non-s/c engine in the car at the time Doug had it for sale) whether it a non-s/c type or an s/c type verses the original serial # engine block - a bare block finding its way back into the car (that was included at time, but not in the car) - Doug was pretty clear with me at the time that the there was an existent, though very slim chance the original engine could be repaired but it would be a herculean effort of technology, near cost prohibitive, and .... (I believe he said it had severe cracking due to frost damage - I did not even bother to take a look at the included block based on his comments). Doug is fairly accessible - call Felix at ACD Factory / Parts Company and ask to speak with Doug = 918-251-3161 factory, 918-812-4070 cell.

JMM
Last edit: 08 May 2017 15:45 by johnmereness.

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 15:40 #32883 by John Meredith
Thanks! I will give Doug a call.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 15:34 - 08 May 2017 15:46 #32882 by johnmereness
x

JMM
Last edit: 08 May 2017 15:46 by johnmereness.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 15:23 - 08 May 2017 16:43 #32880 by johnmereness
x

JMM
Last edit: 08 May 2017 16:43 by johnmereness.

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 May 2017 14:48 #32879 by John Meredith
Hi Curt,

Sure, that would be great. Can you contact me off the forum? I have a listing in the membership directory.

Cheers,

John

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
07 May 2017 23:37 #32877 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 812 SC Beverly for sale
I have a new rear view mirror if you need one.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 May 2017 18:40 #32875 by John Meredith
Do you think it can be restored to an S/C or should it be kept as it is presently? A few parts I am looking for are a headlight crank, choke control knob, rear view mirror, and the round window handle pieces. I already have the correct Crosley radio for it. The seller is stated that the original engine is now in the car. I am sure there are other pieces missing. I should have it this coming week.
Do you recall any of the other history? It has a few bullet holes in the left rear.

Cheers,

John

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
07 May 2017 17:59 #32872 by johnmereness
Doug Prey from Broken Arrow found and was selling this car a couple of years back (maybe 5 or 6 years ago) - he had it at Auburn for ACD Festival. At some point thereafter it found its way to Gullwing Motors (where the above pictures were taken). It was an S/C car all be it had had the engine or block replaced at some point and the original block was with the car at that time. I believe all the s/c parts were missing (converted to standard) excepting the exhaust manifolds and exhaust. I looked it over pretty well - very decent car to restore.

JMM

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 May 2017 15:46 #32867 by John Meredith
Just to let everyone know. I was able to contact the owner, a wonderful gentleman, and concluded the sale. She will be a nice stable mate to my L-29 Brougham. She is also a father son project.

Cheers,

John Meredith

• Joe Holderman
  • Registered
More
05 May 2017 15:25 #32866 by Joe Holderman
Replied by Joe Holderman on topic 812 SC Beverly for sale
Congratulations, John, on your purchase.
Sorry for putting this in the Flea Market where you couldn't see it!
-Joe

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe

• John Meredith
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 May 2017 11:56 #32862 by John Meredith
812 SC Beverly for sale was created by John Meredith

Does anyone have any information about the 812 Beverly in the attached photos? This Cord is missing some hard to find parts: front bumper, supercharger, cigar lighter, and correct color steering wheel. It is a bit over-priced. I have tried to contact the seller without success.

Cheers,

John Meredith
Attachments: