Main Vacuum Cylinder

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2017 18:53 #33112 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Main Vacuum Cylinder
Thanks Curt for the offer. I searched my local area of southern california and found a bearing seal supply that had exactly what I needed. I have a posting about them charging me to measure my cylinder. Sadly they did not tell me there was a 10 dollar fee for this. The part counter guy did not even mentione this fee. I believe I paid something around 25 bucks a piece but can't recall.
My original leather seals are in great shape so I plan to use them. If they fail I will have the modern seals as what you have as a backup. My car came off the roads in 1949 so these original seals have very little use on them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2017 00:40 #33109 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Main Vacuum Cylinder
I have 4" modern neoprene seals that are used in an Auburn two speed if that will help.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2017 16:54 #33107 by 1748 S
I hope these pics come thru.
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2017 16:52 #33106 by 1748 S
sorry but all the pics did not post. these are the internal and external pics of the original shaft seals.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2017 16:50 #33105 by 1748 S
Main Vacuum Cylinder was created by 1748 S
These are some pics of my trans main vacuum cylinder restoration and seal install. I purchased the seal kit from Stan but sadly I ruined the 2 shaft outer seals attempting to install them. Stan told me to be sure to clean up the aluminum housing because the original felt seals are held in by the thin metal washer looking piece and the aluminum is just rolled over to keep the washer in place. I did just that but still ruined the seals. Quick trip to bearing mart fixed that. The kit does not come with instructions and Stan is aware of this. they are working on making an install instruction sheet.. I feel caution is needed when you attempt installing the electrical switch in the aluminum head. If the internal lever is not correctly placed you may ruin the switch legs and not have a trans that shifts. I took pics of the centering of this lever. Use a flashlight to clearly see the lever is postioned properly. All you do is pull out the main shaft till the lever is correct. On the back of the aluminum head is a lever that contacts the plunger and makes the internal lever move to open or close the electrical switch for correct operation.
Attachments: