Skip to main content

Purchased Another Distributor

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
30 Nov 2017 03:32 #33832 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Purchased Another Distributor
Good Evening Gary Parsons,
You are a wizard of electrolytic technology and a master of small parts renovation. The results are clearly evident in your post-treatment photo images of this evening. This is splendid !! Thanks for sharing, Jack Richards at Chesterfield, MO #1080.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2017 23:41 #33831 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Purchased Another Distributor
These are the finished internal parts. I used a cleaning process I learned about recently. I used 1/4 cup of Arm and Hammer laundry soda. Not the baking soda. Add the cleaner to the 5 gallons of water. Then place rebar in the water. Connect the battery charger positive to the rebar. Then suspend the parts to be cleaned off another rebar that is NOT IN THE WATER. I just hung my parts off the rebar a placed off the top of the bucket. On that rebar connect the negative line from the battery charger. Set the charger on 2 amps. any higher wont do any quicker cleaning either nor will stronger mix of cleaning soda. Be cautious because you are now making hydrogen gas and pure oxygen. It sure cleans off the rust. Whats left is a black oxide that washes or wire brushes off easily.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2017 22:50 #33830 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Purchased Another Distributor
The supercharged camshaft has a much differant firing order and that makes is much differant from the non supercharged camshaft.
I really do appreciate all this great information everyone has offered too. Hope to have some finished pics posted here today too.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Nov 2017 04:40 #33829 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Purchased Another Distributor
The cams themselves are all the same if they have the same number of lobes but the relationship to the rotor position is not. I think that is what he is referring to.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
The following user(s) said Thank You: Curt Schulze

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
28 Nov 2017 13:15 #33827 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Purchased Another Distributor
This is an email exchange I had with a highly skilled distributor guy I know out east.
Hi Tom:
I have a couple distributors from a non-supercharged Cord IGP 4006 that runs CW
Can you change the weights to advance CCW for an Auburn IGP4002 ?
All the specs are the same except for the rotation according to my old Allen book

Hi Curt,
Hope all is well with you.
In a nutshell, even if I could change the counterweight's direction, you would have the issue of the point's cam not turning in the proper direction.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Tom

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
28 Nov 2017 05:07 #33826 by mikespeed35
I recently experimented with a L-29 dist. {counterclockwise] and a identical Studebaker dist. that rotated clock wise. The only difference between the two was the cam piece cam lobes in relation to the rotor location. If I reversed the weight location it would have worked as a L-29 dist. except for the rotor location. I experiment with a L-29 dist. and put the weights on wrong and got advance both ways believe it or not. This was all done on a Sun machine. Did not try it on the car.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
27 Nov 2017 12:45 #33820 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Purchased Another Distributor
It is Mike except that the fly-weights are different as it turns clockwise. I once mistakenly put one in a 851 and it wouldn't trun over 1500 RPM.
I have a couple of them.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
27 Nov 2017 00:26 #33819 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Purchased Another Distributor
Hello Gary Parsons : From the looks of the Auto-Lite tag on the distributor it may be an IGP-4006 which is correct for 1936/37 Cord Model 810/812 w/o supercharger. This would have an eight lobe cam and single breaker. Uses a condenser IG-2671. The supercharged FC engine uses Auto-Lite distributor IGH-4028 with double breaker points and a 4 lobe cam.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2017 23:00 #33816 by mikespeed35
Internals look similar to 35 Auburn non supercharged.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
26 Nov 2017 19:17 #33815 by 1748 S
Purchased Another Distributor was created by 1748 S
I found and purchased a spare distributor and these are the "as found" pics before taking it apart to clean and repair or rebuild.