Transmission Oil Pump

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2018 05:21 #34274 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission Oil Pump
I got to talk with Henry Portz a few days ago about my trans oil pump. He suggested a bronze bushing will work ok. I know he was rebuilding these oil or as some called them, grease pumps. He made a few modifications so they were pumping something like 25% more fluid thru the trans. I feel I can make those improvements but not sure if it has any long term benifits. More research needed.
Yesterday I purchased 13 inches of 932 bronze tube for the making of second, third and forth gear bushings. The material is called a tube and the OD is 2 in and the ID is 1 3/4 in. I plan a 1 1/2 thousands interference fit.I may freeze the bushing and warm up the gear to about 150 degrees. I know not to warm the gear higher than 250 degrees and NEVER see any bluing from the heat either. The material purchased from Mcmaster carr is part number 8911K313 Cost was $42.25 plus tax. Really easy to machine too. Am waiting on one gear so I can cut in half the .0042 cut per revolutions of the work piece in my lathe. Its a 12 inch Craftsman lathe and they are notorious for not running slow enough to make a fine finish cut. That will be fixed by this weekend.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Feb 2018 17:31 #34221 by 1748 S
Transmission Oil Pump was created by 1748 S
Yesterday I was going to purchase the Ex-Cell-O X422 glass bushing bearing to install in my gear oil pump on the trans. I got this information in the Cord Tran Book from our club.... Sadly this company that was in businnes since 1919 closed in 1987. Our club booket was printed in 1984.
Anyone know what bushing bearing I can install in the gear pump?? Thanks..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.