Skip to main content

8 Champion Beer Bottle H10 Plugs

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2018 22:24 #34261 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 8 Champion Beer Bottle H10 Plugs
Champion converted from the two rib plugs to five rib ( not just H10's ) in 1947 & 1948. Auburn used J6 's for the six cylinder and non s/c eights. J-9's for s/c cars. I have a couple of 2 rib H10's to trade for J6's

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2018 17:23 #34257 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 8 Champion Beer Bottle H10 Plugs
Just a final note.I have never seen or heard of a 3 rib H10 plug make by Champion for our engine. My first pic shows all the Champion H10 plugs that can be used in our engine. The 2 rib is the most desired for judging but not a "must have" plug. If you use the cadium plated body plug have the body made black. I have tried the suggestion given here to use the gun bluing method for the black body. It works and looks great but am told it wears off from heat over time. Any gun bluing repair kit works fine.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2018 17:13 - 04 Mar 2018 17:17 #34256 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 8 Champion Beer Bottle H10 Plugs
Any Champion H10 plug is acceptable but... Someone please correct me if my information is less than correct. For about 4 years now I have asked and done research on the "correct" plug in our engines. This is what I have been told and verified.
Original plugs were Champion H10. These were the 2 rib design with the black body. then around WWii those were no longer available. The next plug from Champion was the 5 rib H10 with the black body. I can't tell you when the printed colors on the plugs changed or when the size of these leters changed either. Now finally the Champion H10 plug came out as the cadium body plug. today Champion makes a H10C plug which is not correct for judging but it is the correct heat range. Ebay has plenty of the cadium body H10 plugs most of the time so shopping there will get you the plugs. Most any lawn mower shop has the H10C plug too. Now finally a note. autolite makes a 216 plug that "looks great".. But its not something you want in the engine if judging is your dream. Here are the pics of what i have collected for the last 4 years. also do a search in this forum. I have posted a set of the 2 rig H10 plugs that sold for nearly 900 bucks.. I watched that sale and even bid what I was willing to pay. I'm not going to pay over 100 bucks for a plug...
Last edit: 04 Mar 2018 17:17 by 1748 S.

• John Meredith
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Mar 2018 13:23 #34252 by John Meredith
Replied by John Meredith on topic 8 Champion Beer Bottle H10 Plugs
So, the correct spark plug is the 3 rib version of the Champion H10 plug?

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2018 20:09 #34249 by 1748 S
8 Champion Beer Bottle H10 Plugs was created by 1748 S
After about 3 years of looking and buying the 5 ribs. Probably need to sell off those some time in the future too. In my search I have seen H9 along with H11 and H12 plugs offered on ebay. Am not sure why I have a set of 5 rib H11 plugs in my engine now but thats the way it came to me back in 1961 or close to it.. Am a happy guy today...