Schebler carburator

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Jul 2015 02:03 #29883 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic Re: Schebler carburator
Ivor
Funny you should mention the worm gears being striped. As we speak I have a new one still chucked in the lathe awaiting finishing touches. I discovered that it worked perfectly in one direction, but jumped teeth in the other direction. I found this whole set-up to have quite a bit of play in it and I am not sure I want to assemble it in this condition. I'm making the new worm gear slightly larger in diameter to eliminate play, and if it works better I'm going to do the same on the other side. Your procedure for setting the idle sounds perfectly sound and makes good sense. Thanks for responding.

Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2015 00:45 #29882 by Ivor
Replied by Ivor on topic Re: Schebler carburator
Hello Curtis,
I do not own a L29 though I am familiar with the Schebler "S" type carburetor. To get an idle adjustment starting point and to synchronize on the bench both idle adjusters on your Duplex you could do the following. First check the adjuster turns the main jet as the worm or gear is sometimes stripped then set all other adjustments as per your manual. With the butterfly closed and choke in off position wind one adjuster clockwise (lean) this eventually raises the main jet until it contacts the needle which will inturn start to open the airvalve, use a cigarette paper or similar under the air valve and its seat to determine the exact point it lifts. Then turn the same adjuster counter-clockwise (rich) four turns. Then do the same with the other adjuster. Note it takes about 22 turns of the adjuster to get one turn of the main jet and it has a very fine thread, if turned too far the ajuster worm can become disingaged with the main jet gear, it can be viewed down carburetor with butterfly open. For best results with these carburetors the airvalve should be free and not sticking and have as close as possible perfect seating around the perimiter. There is a lot of information available for these carburetors and Dykes carburetor suplement also has some good information on them. Good luck.

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2015 01:40 #29858 by Curtis Bartell
Schebler carburator was created by Curtis Bartell
I am assembling my Schebler carburator and was wondering if anyone knows the best way to bench set the idle gas. These would be the threaded barrels with the gear adjusters. Couldn't find anything specific on line.

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."