Lycoming Carb question

More
03 Oct 2017 03:45 #33631 by AWEllis
AWEllis created the topic: Lycoming Carb question
I have a 1930 Gardner which has the Lycoming MD 225 CID engine, with which came a Schebler carb.
The carb needs rebuilding but I am more interested in switching to a more reliable carb.

Can any of you guys out there tell me which carbs will substitute on that engine? Is there a Zenith or other similar that would work?
Would much appreciate some expert knowledge.

Thanks,

Adam

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2017 17:15 - 06 Oct 2017 17:17 #33646 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Lycoming Carb question
The carbs actually work really nice (and they are mostly brass, aluminum, and .... - most I have seen if not missing parts or monkey with can be made to work with very minimal effort) - stick with it and you will be more happy in the long run. And, I have seen a lot of people mess with carbs types to cause engine valve damage (too lean), car just never performs right, and/or they loose top speed, and ...... What I did find on the two 1929 Auburn 8-90's was that I had to take the carb apart and flush out with carb cleaner every spring (I kept Sta-Bil in the cars and everything always looked fine, but they were useless upon first start-up after winter storage). Also, keep in mind that if you have an electric pump that 1 lb pressure is probably about right (at least to start testing it - ie not very sophisticated needle and seat assemblies).

JMM
Last Edit: 06 Oct 2017 17:17 by johnmereness.

More
08 Oct 2017 03:21 #33656 by AWEllis
AWEllis replied the topic: Lycoming Carb question
Thanks so much for your response, I really appreciate it. Your approach has the appeal of not having to locate another carburetor. I just really don’t know very much about that type. Is there anyway you could tell me how to take apart and clean it, and or give me a reference for a diagram. I would love to take it off and clean it but I’m afraid of messing it up.

Again, I really appreciate your taking the time to reply to my questions.

Adam

More
08 Oct 2017 08:09 #33657 by Ivor
Ivor replied the topic: Lycoming Carb question

More
08 Oct 2017 16:26 - 08 Oct 2017 16:27 #33659 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: Lycoming Carb question
They are pretty user friendly carbs. I would set aside a day (start early am and complete job to best of ability - may take some time or may be quick process) and take apart in a large oil change pan while sitting in a clean area on the floor (just in case you drop something so it will not bounce or get too far). I would clean the inside with carb cleaner (I use to buy a gallon can every now and then, but spray cans work too). And, for exterior detaining, I would use aluminum mag wheel cleaner and such as steel wool/fine wire brushes, and elbow grease. If you run into a problem, I know Ken Clark is use to working on there carbs l-29cord.com/ . I was fortunate to never need any parts for the 8-90's.

JMM
Last Edit: 08 Oct 2017 16:27 by johnmereness.

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds