Skip to main content

70s-80s era Huntingdon Valley/Phila PA Duesenberg ?

• Don Knight
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2013 23:21 #25901 by Don Knight
Replied by Don Knight on topic Old time memories:
Back in 1965, I made a trip to Pennsylvania to purchase a 1929 Marmon coupe. Having no luck finding the owner, I ventured on over to the northeast corner of Pennsylvania to look for Milford 'Tiny' Gould. I had seen his ads in Hemmings' Motor News listing several desirable cars. When I arrived at his shop, there were various models of different cars parked on his lot. What caught my eye was a 1933 Packard Series 1001 Coupe/Roadster Standard Eight. It was painted in gray primer and had a very ragged top. Interior leather was original and in good condition. He was asking $1800.00 but I didn't think it was worth that much!! That was a lot of money! I offered him $1500.oo but he turned it down. After returning home, I could just vizilize that car all repainted and new top and everything re-chromed! In a couple of days, I called him back and told him that I would purchase the Packard and would send him a certified check for $1800.00 and would pick it up in about thirty days. After getting the car home, it was repainted in Packard Blue, everything was rechromed, new white convertible top installed and six matching whitewall tires installed. I kept the car and drove it all over Indiana and down into Kentucky. Went on a few CCCA Classic Car caravans also. In the mid-nineteen eighties, I sold the car to fellow in Louisville, Ky. and I think that he still owns the car.
I am now ninety years old and I still love the body styles and lines of those great cars!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• peter812
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2013 19:24 #25899 by peter812
Bayard Badenhausen, who has published collecting memoirs in the Classic Car Club bulletin, would probably know the car, as he lived in Philadelphia.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
09 Mar 2013 04:44 #24727 by 1748 S
Because we are talking about Auburns here does anyone know what happened to a 35 or 36 speedster that was owned by Sherm Hall of alahambr Ca. This car did not have the original engine or trans but it had the 2 speed rear end. It was sold by Sherm in around 1965 where it sat on Mission Rd in Los Anglese Ca at the Shasta Mission Beverage bottleing company that Sherm owned. Sherm and my father were best of friends till they died and bought many old cars and stored them in the extra building there. I recall Sherm selling the car because of some burns he got while under it heating up some front end damaged and some undercoating caught fire.. He went to wipe off the flaming goo only to have it stick to his hand... Big mistakes we make sometimes. I'm just wondering if its restored or crushed. Thanks for any information on this.. Its something on my bucket list...

• thlee
  • ACD Club Vice President
  • Registered
More
08 Mar 2013 15:44 #24714 by thlee
Dick Boeshore was an active club member with several Duesenbergs in the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s. I met him at the Eastern Spring meet last year. He came by Avon, PA, where the original ACD meets were held to visit. Dick is still a member, but no longer has any cars. he had some great stories to share with all of us at the meet. Dick and Bob McEwan knew each other, and were both at the original meet. Seems like Dick had serveral (I think he said 7) Duesenbergs over the years. fascinating person and it was great to talk to him.

Thomas Lee ACD Life Member This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
1933 Auburn Phaeton 8-101A
1930 Cord L-29 Cabriolet
1912 Auburn 30L Runabout (undergoing some minor refreshing)

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 04:26 #24702 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic 70s-80s era Huntingdon Valley/Phila PA Duesenberg ?
Brad,

If you know Gary Hiller's speedster, you would think it is real. It is one of the Glen Pray cars with original Auburn chassis, wheels, engine, drivetrain. The color is cigarette cream. The only non original Auburn part is the body from the firewall back. Unless you had a magnet, 99% of the world would think it is the real thing.

JEG

More
07 Mar 2013 03:56 #24700 by Joel

silverghost wrote:

mikespeed35 wrote: Hi Brad, There is still a Auburn Speedster that parks in Mall parking lots and can be found on about any street in any state you care to mention with the top down and unmolested so far.
CORDially Mike

Mike ~~~????
Sorry~I must be missing your point ?

Mike and his bride drive their Auburn speedster and their L29 all over the country. And they often provide us a wonderful account of their adventures...

Link: forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.com/phpbb2/viewto ... highlight=

:P

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe
[img

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 02:50 #24698 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic 70s-80s era Huntingdon Valley/Phila PA Duesenberg ?

mikespeed35 wrote: Hi Brad, There is still a Auburn Speedster that parks in Mall parking lots and can be found on about any street in any state you care to mention with the top down and unmolested so far.
CORDially Mike

Mike ~~~????
Sorry~I must be missing your point ?

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
07 Mar 2013 02:38 #24696 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 70s-80s era Huntingdon Valley/Phila PA Duesenberg ?
Hi Brad, There is still a Auburn Speedster that parks in Mall parking lots and can be found on about any street in any state you care to mention with the top down and unmolested so far.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 21:43 #24691 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic 70s-80s era Huntingdon Valley/Phila PA Duesenberg ?
If Doug's cord was black that was possibly the car I was thnking about.

But the Auburn in the area was an old original with wathered cream colored paint and surely not a Glen Prey reproduction replicar as it did not have a modern chassis, drivetrain, and steering setup & wheels.
The various replica speedsters differ from originals in so so many respects as everyone here well knows.

The old original Auburn I am speaking about looked exactly like the Auburn boat-tailed speedster in the Simeone Museum collection ~~~only with old original weathered paint, top, & interior.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 14:31 #24680 by JOEL GIVNER
Replied by JOEL GIVNER on topic 70s-80s era Huntingdon Valley/Phila PA Duesenberg ?
Brad,

Doug McFadden was an auto mechanic in the Philly area and he loved ACD cars. Prior to him passing, he owned a 1936-37 Cord phaeton and also a Glen Pray Auburn 1935-36 Speedster which I think now belongs to Gary Hiller of Pa.

JEG

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 07:10 #24675 by silverghost
Randy~
I do remember my late 92 y/o Father talking about a Milford "Milt" Gould~~~ a Classic & Antique car owner/dealer in the Phila area~~~
Did he have some sort of dealer ownership connection to "Cassic Cars of Philadelphia" in the mid 1970s near 30th and Market streets Philadelphia ?
I went to several auto auctions there in the mid 70s~~~
Milford Gould had some conection to this same Philly auction event I believe ?

Is this the same "Tiny" Gould, or Milford Gould, that you speak of ?
Did he not have a son about my age that was also interested in old Classic & Antique autos along with his father ?

It's a shame my Father is no longer around as I am sure he would have known most of the old Philly Antique & Classic Car & ACD Club guys !

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 04:55 #24674 by silverghost
According to an old mechanic friend of mine the black 810 or 812 Cord once located in my area in the 70s with side flex pipes, (possibly supercgarged ?) not very far from my HV Pa. home was once owned for years by some sort of auto body & auto repair shop owner ? He lived in a very modest split-level home on Pine road.

Still I have no memory of the other two local 1970s era Duesenberg owner's names ;
nor the eccentric older Auburn boat-tailed speedster owner ?
An older women in an old fur coat used to drive this Auburn Boat-tailed speedster around town here year around with it's cloth top down~~~and actually parked it in a shopping center parking lot with the rest of the then modern cars while shopping & going to the bank & supermarket!

I suspect the two 70s era Duesenbergs have now long since been in new ownership hands ,or museum collections~~
Most likely they have changed ownership many times~

But rumors continue to circulate that the original late production cream colored Auburn supercharged boat-tailed speedster MAY still be in hiding somewhere in my general Huntingdon Valley Pa local area ?
Who Knows ? ? ?
Might just be a local rumor !

I am SURE that there must be a few ACD Club members here that remember All of these fine ACD cars that were once located in my immediate neighborhood in the 60s-70s !
Two Model "J" Duesenbergs
An Auburn Supercarged Boat-Tailed Speedster
And an 810/812 Cord

I also remember Bill (William) Pollock of "Pollock's Auto Showcase" Antique Auto Museum in Pottstown Pa. also had a similar Auburn boat-tailed supercharged speedster in his fine collection of approx 75+ Antiques & Classics.
I used to love to visit his museum ,with it's on site top floor restoration shop ,with my late father in an old mill building in Pottstown Pa. as a kid.
He also had two fantastic supercharged Chadwicks which were two of only three, or four, originals known exant at that time.
He also had a small stash of NOS Chawick parts; and used to display a NOS crankshaft on the floor in front of one of these great Chadwick autos.
One of his two Chadwick autos was actually put together from half burried farm-yard remains I believe.
Bill was also friends of the Chadwick family as these fantastic cars were originally built in his Pottstown Pa area.

Anyone here remember William Pollock and his "Antique Auto museum collection ~~~
Pollock's Auto Showcase ?

I guess at almost 58 y/o I like going down memory lane remembering the great autos that used to show up at local Antique & Classic car events in my Philly Penna & Ocean City NJ area when I was a kid.
And I have many a fond memory of my late 92 y/o Father; and his Antique & Classic car friends.

re: Ocean Ciy NJ~ Model "J" original supercharged Duesenberg
There once was also a large tourer, two tone green, original supercharged Duesenberg model "J" that used to be always shown every year In Ocean City NJ during the 60s-70s at the annual boardwalk run, & 5-6th street church grounds Antique Car show.
Tom Perkins~~was possibly the auto's owner~~or at least a close friend of the model "J" auto's owner ?

AND~~~
This I will never forget~
Ralph Buckley used to bring his great fantastc original red Mercer Raceabout to that very same Ocean City NJ Antique Car show & boardwalk run !!
We often visited his area private museum collection & workshop in the late 60s-70s.
He once took me for a great ride in that spectacular Mercer Raceabout as a young kid~~~I will Never forget that great Mercer ride !
I saw that very Mercer again at the very same Ocean Cty NJ show just a few short years back ~~~now owned by Mr. Polombo .

Sadly~ Now all you really see in my two hometown areas these days are mostly streetrods/hotrods & musclecars !

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 03:12 #24672 by RandyEma
Hello Do Any of these names sound familar. C. Amsley or R Beshore F .Brenneman Tiny Gould, ?????? any sound familar. Randy

• JOEL GIVNER
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 02:21 #24665 by JOEL GIVNER
Jim,
that would probably be Doug McFadden.
Didn't you end up with a lot of his parts which were acquired by Paul Fischer?

He was a mechanic that Paul Fischer relied on. Doug made a fortune off of Paul throughout the years.

Vince Quinn purchased his 1935 Auburn convertible sedan from Doug.

I met Doug McFadden many years after he moved out of Pa and made his home in Ocean City, New Jersey.

JEG

• Visitor
06 Mar 2013 00:39 #24663 by
That name rings a bell, I seem to remember some of our old time members talking about a person with that name.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
06 Mar 2013 00:23 #24662 by RandyEma
Keep trying that name does not work. Randy

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
05 Mar 2013 21:54 #24660 by silverghost
I was just told by someone local that one of these local ACD auto owners from the 70s last name might have been McFadden .

Does that last name ring a bell to anyone here in the ACD club ?

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Mar 2013 05:20 #24624 by silverghost
Randy , Chris, ~~or Any ACD club member~

In the 1970s-1980s not far from my home (less than 1/4 mile) in the Huntingdon Valley Pa/Phila area there used to be a car collector on Pine rd & Moredun ave that owned a collection of many great fine autos.
New great collector cars were always appearing and disappearing from this property over those years.

One was a model "J" Duesenberg that I used to see sitting in his garage bay , or on his property ?

I believe it was a large open tourer that was mostly black with a reddish/orange "V" shaped top cowl & belt-line hood trim.
It was a stunning auto indeed!

In the early 70s the owner once told my Dad that it was worth $35,000 at that time!
WOW ! ! !~~~those were the days~~~
Wish I had a time machine !

The house is still basically the same but I no longer see the great Classics & Antique cars sitting in the garage, driveway, or tennis court.
Basically the house looks un-occupied most of the year.

Does any ACD member remember this Huntingdon Valley /Phila Pa area collector; and especially his fantastic restored model "J" Duesenberg ?

What was the past history on this great model "J" Duesenberg ?
Who was it's original owner ?
"J" number ?

Was he, & his model "J", well known in the ACD club ?
I often wonder who he was, and where his very unique & distinctive model "J" is today.
I am sure it is still out there today & very well known in some great collection , or auto museum

Does Anyone know, or remember this large open black
model "J" tourer with it's striking & unique "V" shaped reddish/orange cowl & hood & belt-line trim ?
"J" number ???

Just curious what was it's past original ownership history, "J" number , coachwork history , etc was ?

I would love to see a present day, or older 70s era, photo of this spectacular Duesenberg !

There were at least 2 Model "J" Duesenbergs in my immediate Huntingdon Valley PA area in this 70s-80s time period, as well as a spectacular original cream/off white colored, supercharged late Auburn boat-tailed speedster,
And~~~ also a black Cord 810/812 also located just down the street from this Duesenberg owned at this time period by three seperate ACD club member/owners on the very same Pine road !.

Thank's for any & all information on these great ACD autos I remember well from the 70s ! ! !