Skip to main content

Wanamaker's Duesenberg ?

• peter812
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2013 19:21 #25897 by peter812
Replied by peter812 on topic Wanamaker's Duesenberg ?
A friend of my family, Betty Hamilton, told me that she had been married to Wanamaker and well remembered the Beverly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Jun 2013 16:17 #25348 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic Wanamaker's Duesenberg ?
After no reply to this question for over 2 1/2 months I spent a two hour marathon session last evening going through ALL listed model "J" autos on Jack Curtright's fantastic Duesenberg 186 website notes~~~~

John A Wanamaker Jr. ,Grandson of early Philadelphia Department store fame, did indeed originally own ~~~

Duesenberg J-474 / 2487 said to be mentioned on Page 51 of Malk's book

J-474
2487 Murphy-Beverly coach

My Father often saw Mr. Wanamaker Jr. driving very fast in this auto in our Phila. area when it was just new .

I believe Mr John Wanamaker Jr. passed away, at only age 45, in 1935 .

Dad later, in the early 1950s, saw this car at a Radnor Pa Hunt Club early AACA Phila. area car show event still in original unrestored, but very presentable driving, condition; with a possible "rod knock" bottom-end bearing / crankshaft problem issue.

One of Dad's then old mechanic friends, at this 1950s time-frame, is said to have once worked on the bottom-end crankshaft , or rod bearing problem, on this model "J"

After that time period Dad totally lost track of this car~~~

This car then appeared to totally "Vanish" from the local Phila. car collector's radar.

According to J. Curtright & Malks notes~~
The car was said to still exist in 1968~~~Malks p.51
at this time owned by ~~~
Richard Meyer 7415 Park Ave. North Bergen NJ

duesey186.com/Datasheets/Model_J ... rm2487.htm

I suspect it may possibly still be around today ?
Or~~~at the very least~~~ parts of it ?

Is this another known , but long hidden-away, Model J" ?

Does J-474 / 2487 still exist today ?

Are there any existing photos, from any era, of this car ?

"Captain" John A. Wanamaker Jr. was also a Gold Cup 12 Liter Class Hydroplane speedboat racer~~~

Here is is his (APBA) American Power Boat Association obituary from the January 1935 Motor Boating magazine.

From his model "J" Duesenberg ownership, as well as his love for 12 Liter Gold Cup race boats, there is little doubt that he was a true speed & performance fanatic.

lesliefield.com/personalities/john_wanamaker.htm

note:
There was also once supposed to be a Model "A" Duesenberg owned by another member of the same Philadelphia Wanamaker family, possibly his father Rodman Wanamaker ?~~~according to my Late Father~~~If Dad said it was so~~~you could bank on it being 100% TRUE !.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• silverghost
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Mar 2013 00:24 #24829 by silverghost
Wanamaker's Duesenberg ? was created by silverghost
Does the Wanamaker Duesenberg still exist today ?
Can anyone post a photo, (old period photo or current photo) of this car ?

Who built the coachwork; & what body style ?
chassis number ?

I had heard so much about this Philadelphia Duesenberg through the years growing up~~~ but I have never seen any photo of this fine auto.

Did John, or son Rodman Wanamaker, or another Wanamaker family member really ever own a Duesenberg ?

Thank's

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector