Skip to main content

J Numbers with an X

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2014 16:04 #26895 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic J Numbers with an X
I must point out that this was a practice that a lot of well known mfgs were doing during the great depression. R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2014 12:59 #26894 by Kay
Replied by Kay on topic J Numbers with an X
Hi Brian,

I understood that part. But how does "rebuilding a car" explain the duplication of engine numbers ?

My assumption was some cars might have gotten a new engine with identical number during the factory rebuild. Afterwards the old engine was repaired and sold. One of the two engines was stamped with an extra "X". Just an assumption, but it might explain the engine number situation you described.

Kay

-since 2012: Cord 812 S/C Custom Beverly
-Palm Beach Tan/Deep Maroon/matching #
-unrestored " Sleeping Beauty " condition
-same owner in Southern California '49-'12

• Brian R. Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
05 Feb 2014 09:12 #26893 by Brian R. Peterson
Replied by Brian R. Peterson on topic J Numbers with an X
Randy had explained that the X series car were rebuilt by the factory and then resold, however we don't know if they were listed as new or rebuilt cars.

When asked his opinion on the racing cars built by W.O. Bentley, Ettore Bugatti remarked "Le camion plus vite du monde!" ("He builds the world's fastest lorries!")

More
05 Feb 2014 08:39 #26892 by Kay
Replied by Kay on topic J Numbers with an X
@Randy: I still don't understand why in some cases both engines (with & without X) exist.

The only logical [u:2pfqwpne]hypothesis[/u:2pfqwpne] I can think of is: the factory rebuilt a car and replaced a broken engine by a new one. The new engine was given the old engine's number with an additional X. Later the original engine (unchanged number without X) was repaired and re-sold as refurbished spare part for another car.

Is this what you mean? If not, how can two engines of the same number exist?

Thanks!
Kay

-since 2012: Cord 812 S/C Custom Beverly
-Palm Beach Tan/Deep Maroon/matching #
-unrestored " Sleeping Beauty " condition
-same owner in Southern California '49-'12

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2014 19:14 #26887 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic New or rebuilt
I think that would be up to the integrity of the seller.IF they represented the cars as new(as in never titled)then it would have been a big step down for the maker of America's most prestigious car.I think they knew about the rebuild and got a new car warranty with them.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2014 17:55 #26886 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic J Numbers with an X
Hello. The X series suffix cars are cars that the factory rebuilt and renumbered and sold . What is unknown is were they sold as new or as rebuilt.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2014 17:25 #26885 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic J Numbers with an X
I think most of those are renumbered older engines. That's just a hypothesis.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Brian R. Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2014 06:32 #26882 by Brian R. Peterson
Replied by Brian R. Peterson on topic J Numbers with an X
Hi Bob,

I had initially thought the X designated a replaced engine as well, however my research shows that this may not be the case, as J-498 and J-498X are two separate, surviving cars. However I have no such confirmation or records on the others.

Engine J-490 is in Chassis 2505 and is a surviving car, a Rollston Victoria.

Engine J-490X is in Chassis 2519 which was as a Derham Sedan, but I have no record of if the car has survived, or just the engine itself.

Engine J-491 is in Chassis 2501 which was a Murphy Coupe, but I have no record of if the car has survived, or just the engine itself.

Engine J-491X is in Chassis 2520 and is a surviving car, a Heiss Torpedo Phaeton.

Engine J-492 is in Chassis 2507 which was a Willoughby Berline Sedan, but I have no record of if the car has survived, or just the engine itself.

Engine J-492X is in Chassis 2521 and is a surviving car, a LeBaron Barrelside Phaeton.

Engine J-498 is in Chassis 2518 and is a surviving car, a Murphy Disappearing Top Convertible Coupe.

Engine J-498X is in Chassis 2533 and is also a surviving car, a Murphy Beverly Sedan.

When asked his opinion on the racing cars built by W.O. Bentley, Ettore Bugatti remarked "Le camion plus vite du monde!" ("He builds the world's fastest lorries!")

• Bob Roller
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
04 Feb 2014 04:17 #26879 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic J engines with X numbers
Maybe an exchanged engine to replace a blown up one.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Brian R. Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Feb 2014 08:44 #26868 by Brian R. Peterson
J Numbers with an X was created by Brian R. Peterson
Hi All,

Can someone assist me with some information regarding the following engine numbers:

J-490/J-490X
J-491/J-491X
J-492/J-492X
J-498/J-498X

I've been researching these cars, however it's not clear to me if the X numbers are simply re-engined chassis or completely different vehicles.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

Thanks! :D

~ Brian