Skip to main content

New world record: most expensive Duesy

• Duesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2004 06:21 #2074 by Duesey
The 1935 Duesenberg SJ Speedster, the "Mormon Meteor," sold at the Gooding and Company auction this year at Pebble Beach, on August 15th, following the Concours for a record price for a Duesenberg. I was at the auction, so this is an eye witness account. The car was driven up after a brief introduction video and bidding promptly began at $1 million. bidding continued at a hurried pace in increments at the largest of $500K and smallest of $50K. The bidding began to stall at around $3.8 million before a gentleman (Harry Yeaggy of Cinncinati, OH) began bidding, taking the price to $3.9 million. The bidding was now b/t Mr. Yeaggy and a phone bidder. The phone bidder called $3.95 million, and after some contemplation, and cojoling by the auctioneer, bid the magical $4 million. The phone bidder quickly bid another $50,000, at which point Mr. Yeaggy dropped out. After a bit of silence, the auctioneer called out three times, and hit the gavel at $4.05 million. I have a video of the gavel falling on the car (with sound) for anyone that cars to see it, just email me. Very exciting indeed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.