Skip to main content

Duesenberg J-587 Bohman & Schwartz "Throne Car&quot

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2006 15:27 #5569 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Father Devine Duesenberg
I just got back from Las Vegas, and I was at the Imperial Palace Car Collection on Tuesday. The Father Devine Duesenberg was not on display.

The collection is rather unimpressive now. Most of the good cars are gone. No Cords, no Auburns, and only two Duesenbergs that weren't all that striking.

I did not make note of their J-numbers. One was for sale for $550,000 so it must need a lot of work.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2006 12:39 #5566 by West Peterson
It probably wouldn't hurt the looks of the car one iota if it were equipped with dual rear wheels. In fact, it would probably improve it, as then it would look more like the truck that it is.

• Duesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Oct 2006 05:33 #5564 by Duesey

RandyEma wrote: Hello I never heard the hubcap story , but the wheels are sure welded up. The car is now at OQuins in Houston. Randy Ema

I know something on the wheels used to fail. I'll have to check my various Duesenberg books. Maybe it was just wheel wires snapping...

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
12 Oct 2006 01:27 #5562 by RandyEma
Hello I never heard the hubcap story , but the wheels are sure welded up. The car is now at OQuins in Houston. Randy Ema

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
11 Oct 2006 17:39 #5560 by Mike Dube
Yeah West, I'm with you, what hubcaps? The way I heard it, they couldn't keep spokes in the rear wheels.

Mike
8-100A

• West Peterson
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
11 Oct 2006 17:33 #5559 by West Peterson

Duesey wrote: I've heard the throne car was so heavy, that the hubcaps use to pop off when it went over bumps and through turns as the 7000 lb car flexed its wheels.

Hubcaps???

• Duesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
26 Sep 2006 06:38 #5488 by Duesey
Here is an image:

Found here

Listed as a 1937 Duesenberg Model J Bohman & Schwartz Landualet

• 250cal
  • Registered
More
18 Nov 2004 18:07 #2496 by 250cal
Replied by 250cal on topic Father Divine Throne CAr
For a contemporary story on the car see;

Father Divine article, Time,1 937: Tells about construction of Throne car, and shows construction photo with "Star" window.

John Apen

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
11 Nov 2004 01:49 #2471 by RandyEma
Brian The last I knew of J587 it was at Dean Kruses in Auburn, In and looked pretty good. Randy Ema

• Brian R Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2004 06:38 #2468 by Brian R Peterson
Hi!

I was aware that the J-587 was a one off, with being the largest wheelbase Duesenberg built, it was also reportedly ordered by a "John the Baptist"

The original specs were to have a dove replace the hood ornament, the pasenger compartment featuring a white leather headliner with gold stars and moons, a raised central throne with semi circular seating for eight, and the side lights in the removeable section of the roof to be stars with the rear being a crescent moon.

It would seem that the customer came to his senses as the finished car, while still a monstrosity, was somewhat normal looking.

I know the car is in very bad condition now, but I wonder what would possess someone to abandon a car as fantastic as a Duesenberg?

Best Regards,

Brian

• Duesey
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2004 04:22 #2467 by Duesey
I used to have a picture of that not so pretty looking car, but I have since lost it. It was the longest Duesenberg ever built though, with a 168" wheelbase, and it was one of only 2 Duesenberg J's ever delivered new to an African American (the other J was delivered to a tennis player whose name escapes me). I've heard the throne car was so heavy, that the hubcaps use to pop off when it went over bumps and through turns as the 7000 lb car flexed its wheels.

• Brian R Peterson
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2004 02:56 #2464 by Brian R Peterson
Hi All,

I am a Duesenberg enthusiast and amateur historian, and this is my first post to the board.

I am very interested in the 1937 Duesenberg Model J-587 Town Car built for Father Divine.

I spoke with Jon Bill in the ACD Archives and he tells me the car has survived but is in very rough shape and is currently in the Imperial Palace Collection.

I am very interested in this car as it is one of the most unique Duesenberg models in my opinion, and I would very much like to know if there are any photos of the car, aside from the tiny ones in [i:1u9h1jv9]Mightiest Motor Car[/i:1u9h1jv9].

I would also like to know if there are photos of the interior, or if anyone knows what color the car was and if it is planned on being restored as I think it would make a fascinating addition to any collection.

Thanks,

Brian R. Peterson