Skip to main content

Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 20:20 #33272 by RandyEma
Yes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 11:52 #33262 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Randy, did Cord stamp the data-plates 1000 greater than the frame number like the Auburn's were?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 11:07 - 12 Jul 2017 11:12 #33261 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Thanks Randy.
Looking at the production figures sheet that Curt supplied makes me wonder exactly when my Cord which has serial No 810 1586A was assembled ?
The first 810 Cord came off the production line on January 31st 1936, this car had Serial No 810 1101
From the production sheet 450 cars were made between January and the end of March. If the ID plates were added numerically the last one assembled in March was Serial No 810 1551. My car was sold on April 9th in Toronto. I can't believe that my car was assembled in early April then sold in Toronto on April 9th but maybe it was ?
We celebrate its birthday on April 9th. My Cord has Serial No 810 1586A

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Jul 2017 11:12 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Adding additional information to the reply

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
12 Jul 2017 02:01 #33259 by RandyEma
Hello. I just found a article in Motor Age October 1936 pg 54 stating that Auburn moves all departments to Connersville completing a move that had started in May with the Mfg. R

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2017 15:00 #33248 by RandyEma
Terry To my knowledge Lycoming only had one foundry. R

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2017 11:37 #33247 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
I am aware of the aviation side of the business. Apparently that plant was on higher ground and consequently missed out on the flood.
I suppose the key point is the foundry. As the engine factory continued to machine the blocks and assemble engines were they just using up the inventory of blocks or were more cast elsewhere. There must have been a considerable lead time casting engine blocks, hence a reasonable stock pile. I sent a request to the Williamsport Museum but have not received any information of significance.

T cockerell

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2017 23:28 #33243 by RandyEma
They continued to make truck, marine and passenger car engines till sometime in 1938. They still make aviation engines today.I am well aware of the floods but it did not put them out of business

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2017 22:34 #33242 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Randy. I do not know enough of the whole story just bits from various sources. The Susguehanna River rose around 48 feet in March 1936 destroying the engine plant foundry. I have worked in smelters in Newcastle, New South Wales rebuilding them is an enormous undertaking and expensive. As the demand for ACD cars was decreasing rebuilding the foundry would have been a gamble.
What type of engines were being made until 1938 ?

T cockerell

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2017 17:58 #33241 by RandyEma
Terry. Lycoming did not stop making non Aviation motors until 1938

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2017 12:26 #33240 by Terry Cockerell
Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys. In the story I wrote on finding the pictures of my Cord, The Actonite Cord with its original owner taken in 1936 I touched upon the subject of weather conditions in 1936. The weather experienced in North America during 1936 was extreme. Williamsport PA was flooded during March 1936. The Lycoming engine factory foundry was destroyed and not rebuilt consequently the supply of engine blocks dried up. Towards the end blocks that were in field storage were dug from the mud to be machined. Without engines production of cars could not continue. The normal practice was to store the engine blocks in the open to stress relieve them before machining them. Once the stock pile was finished no more engine blocks were cast. Stan Gilliland filled me in on the story.

T cockerell

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2017 03:12 #33180 by RandyEma
Yes , But it is just a guess. R

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
19 Jun 2017 00:01 #33179 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
These documents show 146 (35-36) speedsters , could there possibly be more than that ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2017 22:24 #33178 by RandyEma
Did not survive

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2017 22:23 #33177 by RandyEma
Yes this is the last production report that survives as Administration moved to Connersville shortly after this and those production figures do not survive.R

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2017 21:26 #33176 by Curt Schulze

Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Attachments:

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2017 17:53 #33171 by RandyEma
Sorry. Auburn stoped production Sept/oct 1936 . Cord and Duesenberg was sept 1937

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2017 11:10 #33169 by Curt Schulze
That is interesting ! Was there anything that would distinguish the 1937 car(s) from the 1936 852's?

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
18 Jun 2017 00:08 #33168 by RandyEma
September 1937

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
17 Jun 2017 23:06 #33167 by Terry Cockerell
Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville was created by Terry Cockerell
Would anybody have any specific information as to when the last Auburn came off the production line in Connersville ?

T cockerell