1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation

• WinAuBurn
  • WinAuBurn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
12 Mar 2018 01:28 #34293 by WinAuBurn
WinAuBurn replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Yes, that's a good point Mike. Thanks for raising it. More things to think about. C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2018 03:48 #34294 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
might try looking into the Ranger or US Gear overdrives. They are very small units.

More
24 Mar 2018 19:01 #34370 by johnmereness
johnmereness replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
Mike: When using a very short drive shaft the angle changes very quickly with small suspension travel. The yokes can hit the drive shaft making a loud banging sound, and I'm sure not good for anything. With the small space you have to fit the GV in it seems like you would have that problem. Something to consider.
CORDiallyMike

Friends installed an overdrive on their 1938 Packard Convertible Sedan and experienced same/similar problems (in their case ate u-joints and had grinding/vibration) - they spent considerable time/money tracking down the issues and I took one look at car on lift and said by shortening the shaft via overdrive they changed the angles and if they put a small taper wedge in under the axle to spring mounts they may solve their problem (aka change angle) - it was a $25.00 issue and an afternoon of labor and they have a couple thousand miles CCCA touring since with no more issues. Sidenote: by changing angle too much you could then cause an oil starvation issue to pinion bearing.

JMM

• WinAuBurn
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
25 Mar 2018 17:00 #34377 by WinAuBurn
Thank you so much John and all. We are hoping to receive the Auburn tomorrow and evaluate what our options are. One thing for sure is we expect to swap out the tires, while they haven't been used they are still 20+ years old. This does give us some gearing options depending on choices from 600 - 750 17s (about 15% across that range).

More
25 Mar 2018 17:49 #34378 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: 1931 Auburn 898A vintage rally preparation
I imagine that you are excited about receiving your cabriolet tomorrow. After you have you have had some time to evaluate it I would be interested in your assessment. I entertained buying that car from Peter myself.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• WinAuBurn
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
26 Mar 2018 15:39 #34384 by WinAuBurn
Will do Curt. While the car is expected today it will go in to storage for a couple of weeks before we get to evaluate things. Hopefully it matches up to the detailed pre purchase inspection report but even that won't tell us everything. Expect many questions from us.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds