• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
28 Oct 2019 03:29 #38714 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic Head Bolts
Mike has it dead on correct R
The following user(s) said Thank You: Thom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2019 15:43 - 28 Oct 2019 15:12 #38704 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Head Bolts
Not sure you would want to loosely assemble with loose head bolts and then wait to spring - I would think you want to torque the head (verses finger tight) given you are putting sealer on the bolts or you want to do the bolts entirely in the spring. You should be able to get it to run even in cold weather - you do not need to drive it, just get it up to running temperature for a few minutes, then re-torque after it has cooled down. Mike's instructions are sound engineering.

JMM
Last edit: 28 Oct 2019 15:12 by johnmereness.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2019 05:05 - 27 Oct 2019 05:08 #38702 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Head Bolts
You DO NOT tighten head bolts hot!!! Always tighten cold, but do it several times. I tighten the first time then let the engine set for 24 hours or longer and then tighten again. Then put coolant in the engine and run it to operating temp. and let cool again. Then tighten again. Next drive for a while and let cool and tighten again. Keep doing this till no more tighatening is needed. My way, others have other opinions I am sure. Only us non hardening sealer as hardening kinds will be dislodged from multiple tightening.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 27 Oct 2019 05:08 by mikespeed35.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
27 Oct 2019 00:36 #38699 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Head Bolts
Try finding this sealant. Its Hi Lomar and Rolls Royce uses it exclusively on many aircraft and auto engines.It never hardens and can be reused many times.Here are some pics of it.
Attachments:

• Thom
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
26 Oct 2019 19:07 #38696 by Thom
Replied by Thom on topic Head Bolts
Thanks for all of your help. I am moving along and in the assembly process with new questions. I have read on the forum that you need to use a thread sealant on the water jacket screws to prevent water from seaping out. I can't find the post now that I need it . Napa Auto Parts suggested prematex number 3 to use since it will not harden. Is that a good choice for the water jacket? Would that be good to use on the head bolts too since they also go into the water? Second question : I will not be starting the engine this year, cold weather aproaching, The head bolts should be torque both cold and then hot. Would it be best to snug the bolts. no torque just past finger tight, for winter storage and do the torquing in the spring, Torque cold now and then Hot in the spring? I was not planning to add water and antifreeze this winter since the engine is dry now. Thanks for your feed back. If I am missing something, please add your thoughts too, Tom

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
31 May 2018 11:44 #34700 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Head Bolts
Auburn never published any torque specs for tightening the head, only the sequence. There was a spec published in a Motors manual that was published in Skinned Knuckles. That is 40-45 pounds. That is because of the crush of the copper clad head-gasket. The bolts will probably take 80-90 pounds turning them out. A couple of years ago I pulled a head off a 31 that had never been off. No broken bolts. Correct 'W' head bolts are available.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
31 May 2018 03:25 #34698 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Head Bolts
My guess is 45 to 55 lbs. torque. You shouldn't twist them off with that. My experience is they are usually under torqued. Good luck.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Thom
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
30 May 2018 22:30 #34695 by Thom
Head Bolts was created by Thom
After 48 years it is necessary to remove the Head from my 1933 8101A Auburn. I am seeking advice to make the job go as easy as possible. Does anyone know if there is a reverse torque setting not to exceed when removing the head bolts to avoid braking them instead of just twisting them until they move. In looking in my service manuals, I did not find the torque setting when assembling the Head. Would anyone know what that setting is also. What is the general opinion concerning reusing the bolts or replace with new. Thanks for your advice, Tom