Skip to main content

1929 Catseye Gray

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2018 04:32 #35529 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
TCP Global Restoration Shop made me Aztec Olivine Brown light and dark for a 1932 Packard Twin Six 7 Passenger Sedan - very nice match and paint.

JMM

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2018 15:48 #35469 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
I have an Acme color chip for Cat's Eye gray (there is another one for Cat's Eye green, what color are cat's eyes?). 1929 Auburn printed on the back. Color formula: one quart Proxlin White; 2 oz basic tinting yellow; one oz. basic tining red; "toouch of super jet black" But without the basics, not that helpful, I think. The color itself (good quality, but obviously old chip) is a beigey gray, fairly light tone, not surprising considering the paint formula.
I have a whole box of these Auburn chips, but not every color listed in the Ditzler document (which I also have) is in the chip selection.

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

• Joe Holderman
  • Registered
More
14 Sep 2018 03:25 #35422 by Joe Holderman
Replied by Joe Holderman on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
I'd be interested in how that looks if you could post a picture. I've used TCP Global Restoration Shop paint with good results in the past!

Future Cord owner.

Messenger Link: m.me/hotrodjoe

• danbri
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
13 Sep 2018 04:46 #35416 by danbri
Replied by danbri on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
Thank you Curt. I ordered a quart of Catseye Gray from TCP Global today. They have if listed in their vintage catalog. We will spray it out on a damaged hood and see what it looks like. I appreciate the input.

Dana Bridges

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2018 12:17 #35405 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
Auburn used paint supplied by Acme-Proxlin in 1934-36. You might check there if PPG is a dead end.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• danbri
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2018 02:34 #35403 by danbri
Replied by danbri on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
Johnathan great information, PPG corporate checked for Catseye Grey IM-1044 in their archives but it predates the current company by a couple of years. Their suggestion is that in 1929 when this color was produced by their former company, paint colors where limited and many automobile companies used a particular color and then renamed it. So they suggested reaching out and seeing if anyone knows or remembers a Gray used by a high volume Automobile manufacturer that might be the same Gray as Auburn used. They could then determine that mix and provide us with a current mix that would replicate the color. If anyone has old Paint chips cards for another Automotive or paint company that seems close at best that would be appreciated.
Thank you
Dana Bridges

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
12 Sep 2018 00:09 #35402 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
The same Ditzler folder referenced above shows that for the 1930 Auburn Eight Cylinder cars there were two (2) green body colors offered, viz. Paul Revere Green [ IM-291 ] and Cepheus Green [ IM-633 ] . Those are the codes for the Ditzler Intermix system. I am hopeful those of you who are seeking to replicate original paint finishes that the Ditzler successors can access the DITZ-LAC MASTER COLOR SERVICE formulae. Keep us posted and I hope that refinish experts will weight in on this discussion.

• Neal Ziff
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2018 22:38 #35400 by Neal Ziff
Replied by Neal Ziff on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
Were these the same greens used on my 1930 8-95?

Neal

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2018 22:22 #35399 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic 1929 Catseye Gray
You might tell the PPG Ditzler representatived that the DITZ-LAC MASTER COLOR SERVICE number for Catseye Grey is IM-1044 and yes it was used on 1929 and 1932 Auburn Eight Cylinder cars and 1931 Cor L-s9 cabriolets. When used the raised reveals of the body were paintedWSood Smoke Green ( IM--215) with Catseye Grey wheels on the Cord noted and stripe was Green ( no code shown}). Hope this will help you. This data is from a 1935 Ditzler Color Company , Detroit , Michigan folder available from John Bill, Curator of the ACD Auto Museum.

• danbri
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Sep 2018 20:53 - 11 Sep 2018 20:56 #35396 by danbri
1929 Catseye Gray was created by danbri
Question, looking for any information on Catseye Gray used from 1929 to 1931, supplied I believe by Ditzler. We spray PPG Ditzler but the companies records only date back to 1938. They are asking if the color might be the same as a color used by Ford, Oldsmobile or Cadillac at at that time.

If anyone has had their vehicle painted in part with Catseye Gray in recent years the current Paint Brand and paint code used would be greatly appreciated

Thank you
Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Sep 2018 20:56 by danbri.