Skip to main content

Replacing The Center Hood Hinge Strip 1931 Auburn

• ilikescars
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2018 22:49 #35864 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Replacing The Center Hood Hinge Strip 1931 Auburn
As Curt said: Propping the hood up so that it forms a "W" will allow you to slide that hing out easily. You shouldn't need a hammer or block of wood to do this. When the hood is in a correct position, the center strip will slide out with very little effort.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2018 11:46 #35863 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Replacing The Center Hood Hinge Strip 1931 Auburn
That hood hinge will slide right off if the hood is standing on edge with the sides close together.
I have new hinges available as well as the upper and lower end pockets.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• curtiss
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2018 03:02 #35862 by curtiss
Our 1931 Auburn was accepted to the Amelia Island Concours so it is now time to spruce it up a bit.

The center hood hinge strip is starting to split on one end so I need to replace it. We removed the hood tonight and we were able to get the center strip to slide a little each way a little with a block of wood and a rubber hammer but it stops once we get to the point the hood metal is flush with the strip.

Is there a secret to removing the center strip without damaging the hood? I thought about mixing some liquid soap up and soaking it down a little.

Also, who sells a replacement center strip/hinge?

Thanks!