Skip to main content

1927 Auburn 4/44

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2018 04:38 #35953 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44
A friend had a crankshaft made for a 1910 Wayne. I said to him " that must have been expensive". He said they sent the crank to him in a big crate, he just filled the crate with money and sent it back!!
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
13 Nov 2018 00:26 #35951 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44
Anthony... Any GOOD machine shop that repairs steam turbines or large pumps will have a resource for Babbitt shops.Every turbine bearing is a filled Babbitt bearing. Some of them support 100 tons of rotating rotors at up to 3600 rpm. I worked in the electrical generation field repairing steam turbines and aux turbines along with huge water pumps. Babbitt bearings were the choice for the large support surfaces offered..

• Ant
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 17:50 #35948 by Ant
Replied by Ant on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44
Good day Mr Ema
Thanks for the response, also greatly appreciated. I’m surprised about the response and will if possible stick with the baddit option.
Have a great day
Regards
Anthony

• Ant
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 17:46 #35947 by Ant
Replied by Ant on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44
Thanks for the reply Mr Huffman, greatly appreciated. The second reply from Mr Ema has similar thoughts. Babbit it is and hopefully I find a place in Cape Town that can do the job. It’s a skill that’s fading away fast in South Africa.. I’ll keep you updated, sorry about the photo not sure what went wrong.
Kind regards
Anthony

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 17:40 #35945 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44

RandyEma wrote: Hello .If you can find a good Babbitt bearing guy it should last your life time .Your four cylinder crank is not hard enough to handle hard inserts over time and it will wear the crank over time.

I agree with Randy on this. I asked him the same question on my 37 Cord engine. Was kind of disappointed with the answer too. With our older engines we deal with what we have. On another note its not impossible to have a crank shaft maker turn one for you.. But you best know a one off crank is really going to be expensive. Only you can say if that extra cost is worth it.We have a very good company out here in the LA port area that comes highly recommended for Babbitt work. I have not used them yet but plan to. My Babbitt are original to 1937. They need replacing because of the years in use.

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 16:21 #35944 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44
Hello .If you can find a good babbit bearing guy it should last your life time .Your four cylinder crank is not hard enough to handle hard inserts over time and it will wear the crank over time.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 14:54 #35942 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1927 Auburn 4/44
I have not had good experience with insert bearings if you drive a lot of miles.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Ant
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
12 Nov 2018 14:04 #35940 by Ant
1927 Auburn 4/44 was created by Ant
Hi All
Yesterday, while returning home, my car broke down. A very strange loud thundering noise coming from the engine. In short, a big-end bearing gone.
I’ll attach a photo but what direction should I take regarding the repairs. The way I understand things I have two options. Repair the old Babbitt bearing or try purchase new old stock if available and or add modern style bearings which I believe is an option.
Any suggestions.
As a side note, I’m not sure I would like to go through this problem/ process again so maybe a modern approach is better if it works.
Have a great day
All suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Regards
Anthony
Attachments: