Skip to main content

Battery Current Draw When Off

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Feb 2019 00:57 #36578 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Congratulations on getting your "New Cord" and solving your first Cord Problem!!!
We hope to see you and your Cord at an ACD meet this year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mflinchum

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mflinchum
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
01 Feb 2019 04:41 - 01 Feb 2019 04:42 #36575 by mflinchum
Replied by mflinchum on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Wanted to throw in my 2 cents. I just picked up an 810 Phaeton a few weeks ago. The battery was completely dead the other day and I put in my spare. Well, it did the same thing too. I removed the battery and checked the terminals for continuity with a volt meter and I assumed I had a short. Turns out that the factory radio was turned on, but doesn't make any sound and turning it off solved the mystery battery drain. Would've spent a lot of time chasing a short were it not for the hint on the display drawing power above. Thanks!
Last edit: 01 Feb 2019 04:42 by mflinchum. Reason: typo
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2018 17:38 #35380 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Hi 1748 S
Good to see Gary!!

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2018 17:34 - 08 Sep 2018 17:34 #35379 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Good find. You may be able to open the switch and clean it up too. Or maybe you can make an adjustment where it mounts on the back of the dash. I have opened up my head light switch and cleaned it then applied some grease.

Gary Parsons
Last edit: 08 Sep 2018 17:34 by 1748 S.

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2018 15:54 #35375 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Ok. So I found the current draw. It is from the dimmable "Instrument" light switch. I had assumed that when the lever was all the way down it was "off". In this position the dash lights are dim enough that they look off. I've learned this is incorrect. In fact, all the way down (dimmest) draws 1.2 amps. I've also learned that putting the lever all the way up should be "off". However, with my switch, all the way up is actually full bright (1.7 amps). But, there is a spot a bit below "all the way" up where the lights switch off completely - that's the sweet spot when you park. Interestingly, I can only approach this "off" position by moving the lever from low to high - as the dash lights get brighter you can find the "off" position. I cannot find the same position when starting with the lever all the way up and moving it down. I suspect there is a wiper in there that's a bit loose or worn. At least I now know how to turn off the instrument dash lights and keep the battery from draining!

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2018 20:45 #34936 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Like Cliff said the only thing that should be drawing power with the ignition off is the clock which is no where near 1 amp. Make sure your control levers are all the way up. They often jiggle down when driving and either the instrument lights or parking lights come on and you don't notice it.
CORDially,
Jim

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2018 14:52 #34933 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
The only thing that will draw any current is the clock which is very, very little . The clock has a fuse that you can pull. You can then go to the head light switch and pull that fuse. if neither one of those is your problem, I would then go to your ignition switch which has 3 terminals. You can disconnect the wires from the terminals one at a time and see if you can locate the short. Good luck

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2018 14:50 #34932 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
Well, I would start with switches, then go to light connectors. when you find the problem and correct it ditch the cutoff switch.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2018 13:44 #34931 by RumRunner
Replied by RumRunner on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
I agree Curt. Just hoping someone can point me to likely suspects. I'll probably start disconnecting components this coming weekend to find the culprit.

-Michael

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2018 11:39 #34930 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Battery Current Draw When Off
In my opinion, there should be zero current draw.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• RumRunner
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2018 11:25 #34929 by RumRunner
Battery Current Draw When Off was created by RumRunner
Hello ACDers!

I'm curious if anyone on the forum knows what the typical battery current draw is when the car is completely off? With my Cord off, I measure about a 1.1 amp current draw. There is a manual battery disconnect in place which solves the problem of the battery draining after a few days of sitting, but just wondering what would be drawing ~1 amp when the car is off? I know that's only 6 watts, so nothing is getting hot or anything like that, but figured I'd ask if there were any places I should check first (or if this is normal) before I go and try to figure it out.

And the car is running well with the new water pump belt. First drive for me was yesterday!

-Michael