Skip to main content

Rubber seal for Cord 812 bussel trunk lid.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2018 04:35 #35036 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rubber seal for Cord 812 bussel trunk lid.
Thanks for the dropping the tank tip to reach the lock.. Looking back I can see how that would have been the preferable way to open the gas door. I probably could have removed the lever by the nut and then the door would have opened no problem. Probably a 1/4 inch drive ratchet with a long extension and mirror might have worked even better. I shall remember this for my next Cord or to help others when they have gas door issues...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2018 04:14 - 22 Jul 2018 04:16 #35035 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Rubber seal for Cord 812 bussel trunk lid.
Gary as you know you have to be dedicated to work on a Cord. Never force or break anything ................. just ask for help .
If you had dropped the fuel tank you could access the rear side of the petrol cap door. There is a small screw holding the lock tab on the end of the lock cylinder. With a mirror and light you could have easily opened the door.
Putting the boot or trunk lid on is really a three person job to avoid scratches in fresh paint. The hydraulic drafting table was perfect for the job. One more point fitting the rubber seal starting at the top and in the centre work down each side and have the seam in the middle at the bottom.

T cockerell
Last edit: 22 Jul 2018 04:16 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Text mods
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2018 02:09 #35034 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Rubber seal for Cord 812 bussel trunk lid.
Great idea Terry. Working on ANYTHING back there is hell. My gas fill door has never been opened because of a lost key. I don't think my Dad ever got any keys for the car in 1961. I ended up breaking off the locating pin that locates the lock properly in the body. But easy fix it to drill and install a roll pin. But getting that door off the car really challenged me. Some wood screws came right out but the nuts of the screws sure were a mess. One required bending a wrench to reach it... Not fun...

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
22 Jul 2018 01:47 #35032 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Rubber seal for Cord 812 bussel trunk lid.
You should be able to get this from Auburn Cord Parts in Kansas. I did my Westchester recently and think the seal cross section would be the same. You peel the strip off the back and press it into the channel around the opening. I had to make a simple plastic flat edge too to make sure the rubber was pushed home. Fitting the boot lid was a challenge until I realised I could use my old drafting table as a temporary scaffold.

T cockerell
Attachments:

• Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2018 22:48 #35031 by 810812
Restoring a CORD 812 Beverly Sedan and am in need for information, pictures, a sample of the bussle trunk lid rubber. I would be grateful if anyone had information as to where this item might be obtained. Thanks for helping.