37 Cord Radio

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2018 15:52 #35455 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic 37 Cord Radio
This fascinating information. Makes me want to dig into my radio right now. Things like this will keep our cars running and... Sounding great. Just amazing information. Thanks so much for sharing..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Sep 2018 01:34 #35453 by balinwire
Replied by balinwire on topic 37 Cord Radio
The radio looks like it is bad but it can be repaired quite easily. Speaker cones are replaceable and usually the tubes and components are still good. It's the wax capacitors that fail as they change value with age. They can be changed with modern parts. To me the big problem is they are not original, even if I am the only one who would ever open the case. Just like the cars wiring harness the wires are fabric. You could not accept vinyl as factory. There was this video and many others that show a method of stuffing the factory capacitor's for a original look. Thought it may be interesting.

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2018 02:26 #35342 by 1748 S
Yes he does but I believe there are two different decals. Best advice is call n talk with them.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Sep 2018 23:34 #35337 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic 37 Cord Radio
Does Stan sell those little round emblems located at the bottom of the radio box? Cord emblem?

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2018 19:05 - 03 Sep 2018 08:46 #35313 by balinwire
[/URL]
[IMG

A-255 Crosley sedan radio. 2 digit serial number.
Last edit: 03 Sep 2018 08:46 by balinwire.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
02 Sep 2018 02:43 #35312 by balinwire
I just noticed he uses the tone switch and you can hear the sound change at 0:37 I missed it before but the switch can be seen in the lower right corner if the box. I wish there were more shoots of the upper and lower components and tuning the IF coils.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
01 Sep 2018 16:11 #35308 by balinwire
if anyone sees a working radio in a car dash at the reunion could you please post a video. A closed as well as an open working radio, just a phone video is great.

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2018 23:05 #35306 by balinwire

More
31 Aug 2018 20:15 #35305 by 5-ht
Replied by 5-ht on topic 37 Cord Radio
I don't have any pictures of a Crosley A-255 so I can't help out with the tone control knob. The A-455 has a simple slide switch for tone 'control' in the front lower right-hand corner of the box. Both the A-455 and A-255 have electrodynamic speakers.
Curiously, the last A-455 I restored actually had a Crosley A-156 chassus inside. It was likely a quick swap-out repair back in the day.
Attached are the tube layouts.
Attachments:

• balinwire
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
31 Aug 2018 15:35 - 31 Aug 2018 19:01 #35304 by balinwire
Crosley made 1600 units, no idea of how many were open against closed radios, as rare as the 455 is and so few open cars were made there were possibly a few hundred the rest 255. That still does not cover the 3000 cars built. They upgraded the charging circuit in 1937, if you left a closed car radio playing with the electro-dynamic field excitation coil speakers load on the battery you may not restart after your journey with a weak battery. 5-ht could you post a picture of the tone knob and a photo of the tube placement and the bottom side with condenser placement. It is the only 455 I have ever seen. I am not sure they used an electro-dynamic speaker as the 255. The Philco 828 and 827 <+ or_ > ground, there were used as a generic radio in many makes. The 828 Philco must have been much more reliable modern replacement with the new 1937 generator and regulator. I know they have a modern analco speaker and it is a much better radio, same slotted control cables as the Crosley. I have seen a Cord logo emblem over the Philco script on the brass grill.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2018 19:01 by balinwire. Reason: spel

More
24 Aug 2018 04:33 #35249 by 5-ht
Replied by 5-ht on topic 37 Cord Radio
Along with the Philco 827, Cord also used Crosley model A-455 and varients.
i'd read that the switch from Crosley to Philco happened in about March of 1937.
I've attached a picture of the Crosley A-455; can't remember where I got this from.
Mark
Attachments:

• STEVEN.KUIPER
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2018 18:56 #35238 by STEVEN.KUIPER
Replied by STEVEN.KUIPER on topic 37 Cord Radio
here are a couple of photos of the philco model 827(i think). it would really be nice to have an area in the forums where there were photos of all the cord major parts for reference. the main photos on the internet are just of the cars exterior or perhaps the dash but, when one is trying to restore a cord those are of limited help. these do show up on ebay once in a while. also i've seen them in the acd newsletter for sale.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2018 02:42 #35237 by 1748 S
I don't have a picture but I do know the open car radio has the speaker in the front of it unlike the closed cars that has the speaker above the sun visors. Check with Ron Monte. He sells lots of parts on ebay under the seller name of ronmonte..

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Aug 2018 00:17 #35236 by ilikescars
37 Cord Radio was created by ilikescars
Can someone provide a picture of a correct radio box for 37 cord open car? Or possibly direct me to someone that has a restored radio?
Mark email: [email protected]