Skip to main content

Cord plug wires

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Nov 2018 00:33 #35973 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Cord plug wires
I looked in the latest directory and found the Cord judging sheets, but no mention of specifics, IE wire colors, etc.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 19:34 #35882 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord plug wires
Thanks Mark for setting the plug wires post in the correct direction. As I posted. My car wire color was maroon but.. Its a wire that is probably 75 or 80 years old too. I no longer have those wires, cap or looms. I sold them on ebay a few years ago. I'm not really ready to make my decision on what color to use yet but I know Stan offers both colors. Black or the oak. I also know both colors are available in bulk spools too.

Gary Parsons

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 18:19 #35880 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Cord plug wires
I have it in factory print that the 34-36 Auburn plug wires are BLACK . I have some originals and they are shinny black not like rubber. The 31-32 and maybe 33 cars have oak with the red and black tracers.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 17:38 #35877 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Cord plug wires
I have few strands of the Maroon wires from various 1935-851 / 1936-852 Auburn projects - I would call the color "Black Cherry", "Burgundy", or "Cord Rich Maroon" and it is a shame the wire has not been reproduced as it really is beautiful. My assumption for the color was that the wire was done to match the Bakelite distributor caps. As to why it is on an Auburn (all be it could be correct as factory engine photos are near non-existent), my best explanation would be Auburns receiving service from the same dealerships and I assume the parts-company sold wire sets fro some period of time.

JMM

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 16:27 #35874 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Cord plug wires
Hi all... Actually, the black and maroon wires are all that is accepted in the current standard. The oak (yellow) wires with the red stripe or tracer, while acceptable for Auburn automobiles, are not included for the Cord 810-812 models.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 15:43 #35873 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Cord plug wires
I agree with what Mark posted. My 37 Beverly had what I believe to be an original set of plug wires. I removed one wire from the tubes they run in and to me that wire appeared to be maroon. I understand the oak with a tracer color is ... So I'm told acceptable too but please make sure before purchasing a set. Points are deducted in judging for non original appearance too.

• Mark Tomei
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 06:30 - 03 Nov 2018 06:32 #35871 by Mark Tomei
Replied by Mark Tomei on topic Cord plug wires
Hello. The correct color for spark plug wires for a 1936-37 Cord 810-812 is either black or maroon. This information is available to you in the 810-812 Judging Standard that is provided in the current Membership Directory. This same Judging Standard will be posted shortly on the club website under Judging Standards.

Best of luck.
Last edit: 03 Nov 2018 06:32 by Mark Tomei.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Nov 2018 01:59 #35869 by ilikescars
Cord plug wires was created by ilikescars
The correct color of plug wires for 36-37 Cord: Was it black with tracers or just plain black?