Skip to main content

Geneator Regulator

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 21:37 #35914 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Generator Regulator
I believe the 'A suffix is for a 'non-standard pulley' which in the Auburn world is S/C.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 20:53 #35912 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic Generator Regulator
This is a very rare but correct generator for a mid to late 1937 Cord and the correct generator for ALL S/C Cords.

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 20:45 #35911 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Generator Regulator

Curt Schulze wrote: I could not find a GCO4804 in my 1948 Auto-Lite Service Parts Catalog . The closest I can come is a GCO 4803A which is 37-39 Packard.
It shows CORD GAR4603-5 GBR4603-5 GBR4603-4 GCO4804A The GAR4603 will interchange with Auburn.

the last you wrote is Cord... GCO 4804 A and this is it, but from a later 812 or so? is there a wiring plan for this version? any measuring for the correct clamp to fit it on the engine? I would realy like to awake my cowl fill for the oil (water seems impossible without the correct right thermostat housing and the end of the pipe being shortened behind the wrong ignition coil)

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 20:09 #35910 by Curt Schulze
I could not find a GCO4804 in my 1948 Auto-Lite Service Parts Catalog . The closest I can come is a GCO 4803A which is 37-39 Packard.
It shows CORD GAR4603-5 GBR4603-5 GBR4603-4 GCO4804A The GAR4603 will interchange with Auburn.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 19:03 #35909 by Michael R
try again my type plate...

Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 16:03 #35908 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Generator Regulator
Terry your choke wiring is correct as per the wiring diagram as already posted. You are also correct about the generator not being correct for this car. If you can tell me what the serial number is and what the brush end plate casting number is I bet I can tell you what this generator was from. My autolite parts book in about 8 inches thick with every generator. Every cross reference and every piece well documented.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
06 Nov 2018 09:03 #35905 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Generator Regulator
The automatic choke power cable on my Cord is directly connected to the generator. I am not sure of the correct wiring configuration as the generator is not a stock Cord item. Henry Portz thought it was from a Chrysler.

T cockerell
Attachments:

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2018 23:44 #35902 by Curt Schulze
There actually three coils inside of the Startix. The A coil pulls in to start the car. As soon as the car starts and at least 6V comes out of the generator the E coil is activated and pulls back and brakes the points for the starter connection. Then the F coil holds the the solenoid back . The E & F coil are of course wound one on top of the other to conserve space and mechanics. Typically Startix problems are bad points, shorted EF coil

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2018 18:41 #35899 by Michael R
I think the one solenoid in the Startix operates just like the charging control lamp in normal systems. The solenoid will get ground trough the not working generator and negative from the ignition switch through clutch switch. If the generator is working there will be negative on both sides of the solenoid and it will open the contact. Hopefully I can clean the mess out of the wiring. Any further ideas how I can optimize the fastening clamp?

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2018 03:35 #35896 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Geneator Regulator
You are correct Pete. I will fix it. Hope nobody gets confused both ways now looking at what I originally posted... and then "fixed"

Gary Parsons

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2018 02:17 #35895 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Geneator Regulator
In the 3rd line of your reply I believe it should read
"remember the generator must send voltage
"
Pete

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
05 Nov 2018 00:53 - 05 Nov 2018 03:37 #35894 by 1748 S
Sadly the web site MAY be experiencing issues with posting pics yet again. Lets hope its repaired soon.
As for the choke power feed in the wire diagram, I feel it is correct. Even with the wire running to the startix its correct. Please remember the generatormust send voltage to the startix internal solenoid to keep the starter from engaging. Inside the startix we have two solenoids. If power is cut off to the running side solenoid then the start side solenoid engages so the starter can try to run the engine up till the generator is putting out enough voltage to change the power away from the starting side. This is one of the reasons some Cords will try to start when the rpm gets too low or the generator stops sending out voltage. It sounds complex and looks like it can't possibly work but it works very well.Surprising technology for 1936 cars. The startix actually was in several cars before the 36 or 37 Cords had it. Auburn's used is as did Pierce Arrows.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2018 03:37 by 1748 S.

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2018 19:06 - 04 Nov 2018 19:07 #35893 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Geneator Regulator
three edits didn´t repair the attachments, computers are much more disturbing than lovely old cars...
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2018 19:07 by Michael R.

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2018 18:51 - 04 Nov 2018 19:03 #35892 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Geneator Regulator
thank you Gary, 4804 is the type... perhaps it was changed with the bracket cause later cars do not have this curious cowl fill openings (right?).
I think for the choke I have to find a negative wire that is "hot" when the engine is running. Next step I will open the regulator housing and hope there is some writing in it. And perhaps I can find the connection to the startix where the cable insulation is rather broken.

Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Nov 2018 19:03 by Michael R.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2018 18:25 - 04 Nov 2018 18:27 #35891 by 1748 S
Thank you for the good picture of the generator. It does appear to be mounted far to the passenger side as you noted. Our engines had three different generator mounting brackets. Yours appears to be an incorrect generator. Can you please post a clear picture or post the generator numbers here? Original generator for the 36 cars were the GAR4630 with the top mounted regulator. The 37 cars had the infamous GCO4804-A generator. Both are autolite types. The 4804 is the two brush where the 4630 is the adjustable three brush. Hope these facts are not confusing.
Am not sure where the chock wire is to be connected. My 37 car has the manual chock controlled from the dash center quadrant by a toggle as original design.

Gary Parsons
Last edit: 04 Nov 2018 18:27 by 1748 S.

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
04 Nov 2018 15:14 #35887 by Michael R
Geneator Regulator was created by Michael R
Sorry for questioning again, but with beeing a Cord newby there are a lot of riddles. Searching the forum I discovered, that the EE15 carb on my early 36 realy had an automatic choke. The piston was seezed and the heating had no wire. Solvent awakened the piston and now I´m trying to reconnect the wire. On the wiring scheme sadly not so readable here
phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudwaysapps.c...forums/8878-cord-810
the cable is connected to the generator at the same contact, that stops the startix if I´m right. But in complete difference on my car the generator does have a seperate regulator, where do I have to mount my choke-heater-cable?
Even worse the generator is mounted far on the passenger side so that the oil fill can not be connected.
just disconnected
Michael
Attachments: