Skip to main content

Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2018 13:03 #36104 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box
I am unsure about Cords, but many Auburn accessories, IE radios and heaters were dealer installed. So 'as it left the factory' Is a bit of a misnomer.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
09 Dec 2018 04:01 - 09 Dec 2018 19:26 #36102 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box
Pete in a recent Newsletter I wrote about my Missing Radio and found that it did not have one when it was originally sold.
The key point being the holes in the rear cross member where the rear aerial brackets are fixed had not been drilled.
The car had a radio fitted later with a telescopic aerial. The Judging Standards stipulate "As the car left the Factory" is my interpretation. Obviously radios and heater are part of the majority of Cords.

T cockerell
Last edit: 09 Dec 2018 19:26 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revising text

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
07 Dec 2018 13:25 #36085 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box
Terry wrote the quote below
"As radios were fitted by the dealers it is a wonder the Judging Standards accept them as they were not fitted when they left the Factory .................................... I guess we all have to allow some latitude."
Now read his latest post from the Teefy-Seltz price guide in his reply to "810 1704A arrived at new home "

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 21:24 - 23 Nov 2018 23:53 #36001 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Gary, Pete and Tom.
I have been slowly reinventing the wheel. I have been dealing with Rhode Island Wiring Services as they offer an aerial cable for Cords. Sadly they do not offer the other cables as they have not made any before now. I made a drawing of the speaker cable and had the speaker end pins as the radio had been removed with the bottom half of that cable before I got the car. George Van Nostrand came to the rescue with the three pin plug. Looking at the top of your phaeton Crosley radio Tom the sockets are the same as mine. The aerial cable has two pins while the power cable has only one.
As radios were fitted by the dealers it is a wonder the Judging Standards accept them as they were not fitted when they left the Factory .................................... I guess we all have to allow some latitude.
Thanks for your contributions.
Regards,
Terry

T cockerell
Attachments:
Last edit: 23 Nov 2018 23:53 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Updating drawing dimensions

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 20:54 #36000 by pete kelly
Hi Tom and all
This is a real CORD open car Crosley radio; top connections are power and antenna.
Pete

• Thomas Wilcock
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 20:51 #35999 by Thomas Wilcock
Replied by Thomas Wilcock on topic Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box
I am not sure what make my radio is but here are the pictures. There are 2 wires that plug into sockets on the top. As can be seen from the picture one wire is missing the end plug. The radio has an internal speaker.
Attachments:

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 19:39 - 21 Nov 2018 19:41 #35998 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box
Terry I think I have finally "found" what you are asking about. Big thank you goes out to Pete Kelly for the identifying on this. I sure feel silly but oh well. So here is what I think you want.If not please ask. I may have other pics I can share. The fuse is a 20 amp fuse.

Gary Parsons
Last edit: 21 Nov 2018 19:41 by 1748 S.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 18:48 #35997 by 1748 S
Thanks Pete. Now I really feel silly. I remember now pulling this cable out of the car many years ago. When I was taking pics of it I wondered where I saw those wire ends. It was the speaker above the windshield.I bet its going to be fun getting a new speaker harness up the windshield post. Probaby will use a fish tape like we used in the electrical field. That was fun work sometimes. We used parachutes sometimes on the really thin measured tape on the spools.Either both or suck it thru the conduit.Read the measured numbers on the tape.Tie off a large enough pull roap or wire. Pull the tape and pull roap back thru. Connect new cable to pull roap and hope it pulls thru. We worked 2 days once pulling a new faulted 4 kv cable in place only to find it was bad from off the huge spool. Nobody "checked" it before pulling... Nobody was very happy with that mess cause we did the job twice...

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 18:27 #35994 by pete kelly
If you use that for power what are you going to use for the speaker?

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 17:49 #35992 by 1748 S
This is what my power cable looks like Terry. Look closely at the power feed end. See the 4th pin is the cable suppression protector covering the wires.I suspect its also the ground.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Nov 2018 02:12 #35990 by Terry Cockerell
Hi Gary.
Yes, thanks that would be a step in the right direction.
Cheers,
Terry

T cockerell

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Nov 2018 22:16 #35989 by 1748 S
Terry mine is the Philco radio. If it might help I can post pics of the cable you may want to see.

Gary Parsons

• Terry Cockerell
  • Topic Author
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Nov 2018 21:42 #35988 by Terry Cockerell
Power Cable to Crosley Radio Box was created by Terry Cockerell
Could anybody out there give me details of the power supply cable end fitting that goes into the top of a Crosley radio for a 1936 Cord. This cable connects the radio head to the box. A photograph or sketch would be ideal.

T cockerell