Skip to main content

Headlamp wiring

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
26 Feb 2019 11:09 - 26 Feb 2019 11:10 #36763 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Headlamp wiring
Michael while having a general clean up in my garage today I found the rubber grommets which fit into the side of the headlight buckets. They are tubular with a flange at one end and just push in from outside the headlight bucket. So mine may have been modified when sealed beam lights were fitted. As previously mentioned all of the cable ends have bullet ends and plug into straight rubber covered connectors.

T cockerell
Last edit: 26 Feb 2019 11:10 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Revise text

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2019 04:19 #36683 by Terry Cockerell
Michael you can get all the wiring harnesses you need for your Cord from Rhode Island Wiring Services in Rhode Island USA. Have a look at their wed site and on line catalogue.

T cockerell

• wynlaidig
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2019 02:27 #36682 by wynlaidig
Replied by wynlaidig on topic Headlamp wiring
There is a little tab on the socket, and a corresponding notch in the headlamp housing. So after lubricating it all up, you have to rotate the socket until the tab lines up with the notch and you can pull it out. It is tricky since you can't see the tab or the notch until you actually get the socket out. I ended up pulling so hard i bent the tab on the socket, and slightly deformed the housing. Hopefully you can avoid that.

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 21:33 #36679 by Michael R
Replied by Michael R on topic Headlamp wiring
thank you so much for organizing help in various ways!
am I right, that I should move the whole wiring with the inner metal housing to the inside of the front fender? the spring loaded connector is not disconnectable? perhaps it will be a possibility to cut the wire near the end an solder fresh wire on, then seal it with a shrinking hose.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 08:14 #36672 by Terry Cockerell
HI Michael I received an email from John McCall in Connecticut regarding the headlight wiring. John is having trouble making postings so he asked me to send the details to you. The grommet is a tight fit in the metal housing. John suggests that you clean the area up and spray it with WD40. You should then pull on the cable and tap the grommet from inside the headlight area and it will all come out. Mine did come out easily from memory.

T cockerell

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2019 20:33 #36647 by Michael R
Sorry for asking again, but the connectors won´t come off. Each of the single-connectors is moving freely for a few mm and is obviously spring loaded. With a lot of force the wire starts to break, but no way the connectors won´t com free. The whole round connector moves with more effort and not spring loaded. but this moves only the insert-pipe for the wiring that comes from the wheel-side.
there must be a simple trick, who will find that out?
no ideas
Michael
Attachments:

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
13 Feb 2019 08:28 #36628 by Terry Cockerell
Hello again Michael. I had a look at my wiring harnesses today and noted that the ends of the cables all have male bullet fittings. I could not find the plastic or rubber grommets that fit in the headlight bucket as seen in your picture but I removed them around 4 years ago and still have them .............. somewhere.
I do remember that they just popped out. Sorry I can't be more specific. You will have to clean up the area to see how the cables just pull out.

T cockerell

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2019 17:38 #36623 by Michael R
thank you, this will be very helpfull to avoid the risk of bending a metal in the wrong direction!

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
11 Feb 2019 09:24 #36621 by Terry Cockerell
I think you have to bend a metal tab to remove the wiring connector. I will have a look at my car tomorrow as the front sheet metal is still on shelves waiting to be reassembled.

T cockerell

• Michael R
  • Topic Author
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Feb 2019 19:46 - 10 Feb 2019 19:47 #36617 by Michael R
Headlamp wiring was created by Michael R
I´m just going through the wiring of 1704 and the headlight wiring has to be replaced. There is a connector on the inner side of the lamp housing. If I pull the cable, it seems to be spring loaded and I don´t want to destroy something. Do I have to turn the whole thing? just the inner plate? clockwise? counterclockwise?
with lightless regards
Michael
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Feb 2019 19:47 by Michael R.