Skip to main content

Transmission Fluid and gage on pump

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 22:14 #36792 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Transmission Fluid and gage on pump
Why are you thinking of a transmission oil cooler? I have never seen or heard any problems from a Cord transmission running too hot. I've rebuilt over 30 transmissions which have done more miles than I can count. The only temperature related problems I have ever seen has been due to lack of lubrication or mechanical failure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Member
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 20:48 #36791 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Transmission Fluid and gage on pump
Hi Peter.
I would be interested in finding out about oil cooler modifications.
I am restoring mine to be a good reliable driver. I am located in Australia.
My email address is [email protected]

T cockerell

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 19:26 #36789 by rlwardne
Replied by rlwardne on topic Transmission Fluid and gage on pump
I wonder how many members have actually checked their flow?
If you haven’t you should as there is no visual way to check it.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 19:24 #36788 by rlwardne
Verdict is the inlet in the case was plugged by silicone and lack of lube killed the pump.
I did purchase the pump from the fellow on eBay mainly cause he only lives three hours away. Installed and test run on stands in second gear produced 15 psi at idle speed. Now to fix the leak on my filter housing. Pretty sure the fluid I’m running is more summer driving. Is the Gibbs yellow metal safe.? I haven’t looked
At their data.

• Cordura
  • Registered
More
03 Mar 2019 18:57 #36787 by Cordura
Replied by Cordura on topic Transmission Fluid and gage on pump
Cordura here, I use Joe Gibbs DRIVEN racing 75W 110 synthetic oil. It lowers the operating temp quite a bit. Also you can fit five and a half quarts without leakage. Call me if you want to hear about oil coolers and improved filters.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 23:48 #36756 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Transmission Fluid and gage on pump
Never use any gasket there or silicon sealant. Plenty other great sealants to use. Just ask. Now with the pump removed maybe someone here can tell you who to send it to that knows whats going to be the best way to rebuild this My bet is Jim will know but please ask before sending it out for repairs. Now you need to know how clean the main shaft is if the rtv has traveled and plugged up oil holes to the gears. As I already posted from ebay. There is a rebuilt pump ready to go if you needed a "right now repair"... If you plan doing this yourself or want to know more about this rebuild please purchase the Syd Ayers trans repair book from this club. It sure helps but.. Its not all inclusive of what happens in the trans or oil pump. It way better that nothing. I have purchased two of these book.

Gary Parsons.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 22:58 #36754 by rlwardne
Dropped the pump today. Best guess last person to be here liked to use silicone. The pump inlet nearly totally blocked. Guessing it seized and broke the tang, or sucked silicon wad into the gears and jammed. No tang no drive.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 16:39 #36749 by rlwardne
I just removed the screw plug on the side of the cover and slid the spring and ball out to see if there was some trash in there. I didn’t remove the cover but looking at it I see some one made a gasket for it. Drop pump and see what I got.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 16:22 #36748 by 1748 S
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationHers is what I feel is an expensive rebuilt trans oil pump. The seller has continued listing this for bout 2 months.Also on ebay under the forum search, 1937 cord parts is a cover, gears and mounting screws for this pump. If you removed this pump from the front of the trans and no oil drained out. It sounds like the trans has some trash buildup in the bottom. But if you ONLY REMOVED the front cover on this pump to get the ball and spring out you might be ok. But please explain more about this.Removing a trans from these cars is never been a one man job. The hook, louver trim, radiator, wheels, steering, outside axle housings and plenty more must be removed to just get the trans out of the car. Usually its much easier to remove the engine and trans as one piece..
Gary Parsons

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 16:21 #36747 by rlwardne
That didn’t come out right. Spring and ball was removed from the bypass in the pump cover, Not found in a line. Spoke to Jim last night and to clear that up, something is hokey with the pump. It’s coming off today hopefully. We tried several things and it’s not pushing a drop. I’ll let ya know what I find.
Randy

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 14:42 #36746 by 1748 S
Reading about "a spring n ball" found in the botton oil supply hole is very sad. Please tell the forum what the ball and spring size was. From that you described it sounds like these pieces are from the synchro rings. If the spring was about 1/2 inch long then you probably have some major trans damage. When the synchro hub travels too far these balls and springs pop out. They fall down to the lower trans shaft where they get ground up. They usually destroy the gears because of the hardness of the balls. I'm rebuilding my trans now. I decided to open it up and replace all the bearings and seals. Glad I did. My oil pump had been machined and both gears were replaced but... The 2nd 3rd gear synchro springs and balls were missing. This trans had a new old stock lower cluster gear installed but the upper main shaft had some thrust bushing hand made without oil grooves. I can show you pictures of anything you want but please...Don't run this trans till you explain what and where these parts came out and where did you reinstall them. The front cover of the oil pump does have a spring in it that controls oil pressure and yes.. That oil pump can be removed and rebuilt but all oil must be drained from trans.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 02:08 #36736 by JIM.OBRIEN
STOP!!! If you pulled a ball and spring out you have a MAJOR problem in the transmission itself . The transmission needs to come out and be rebuilt. If you try driving or running the car you risk doing a lot more damage. Please give me a call at 484-650-2124 and I can explain.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 01:55 #36734 by rlwardne
Figured that out today. We jacked it up and ran it thru the gears for a few minutes, it didn’t put a drop in the filter. Tore lines off flushed and cleaned , pulled spring and ball put a little air to the case and finally got fluid to come
Out the output on the case. Replaced the spring and ball and decided to run some more never eeked a drop. So guessing the pump is pooped? Can I guy remove that pump while in the frame?
Thanks Jim!

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
25 Feb 2019 01:25 #36733 by JIM.OBRIEN
Yes there is pressure at the filter. The oil flow is from the sump in the transmission, into the pump, to the filter, to the cross shift housing , into the upper shaft of the transmission.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Feb 2019 22:27 #36703 by rlwardne
Is there pressure there? It’s
sucking from the case to the pump as I understand it.
Randy

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 15:53 #36674 by 1748 S
Sadly the oil pump is driven by the differential pinion shaft. This is also the lower shaft in the transmission. So no oil pressure can be made with our cars sitting still at a stop light. Then once we start moving the rpm stays very low. Had the oil pump drive been driven off the top main shaft we would have had much better oiling of the transmission. These original transmissions never had any type of oil pump and one car was driven from the factory to the west coast and back.It failed by locking up a few hundred miles short of returning to the factory. This is a well known bit of information. They then had an Archimedes screw type oil pump. It was found to be lacking. So it was changed to what we have today. Even that oil pump can be modified to make more flow and pressure by using larger gears internally. Any good machine shop can do this work.

Gary Parsons

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2019 01:58 #36669 by JIM.OBRIEN
The pressure depends on speed, temperature, lubrication used, condition of the transmission, etc. Plan on 2 to 30 psi. The main thing is that you have oil flow.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2019 02:57 #36659 by rlwardne
What should I expect for pressure?
Thanks Randy

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2019 01:27 #36658 by JIM.OBRIEN
I use Lubriplate SPO-277 in the transmission. It has worked extremely well in my transmissions.
As for the gauge it's very simple to add one in. you can pull the plug in the cap on the filter and tap a line for a pressure gage or put a pressure switch in there with a light on the dash or in the glove box.

• rlwardne
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2019 19:35 #36644 by rlwardne
Transmission Fluid and gage on pump was created by rlwardne
What’s everyone using for transmission fluid? Secondly can a gauge be ported
In to check the health of the transmission pump?