Skip to main content

1937 cord 812 s/c phaeton - doug conrad

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2010 03:57 #17376 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord sc phaeton - doug conrad car

the boys have a good chuckle around 67 or 68 in a western ontario farmers field on a hot summers day as doug conrad fires up the old conrad car, his son laughs at the hoodless and pipeless roar, third owner alec watt, with hands on hips, looks on in amusement while his son in law in the yellow shirt, wally michalski has a good chuckle.

thanks again go to identification courtesy of alec watts son, terry watt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 Jul 2010 03:06 #17373 by dryesandno

another fine photo of the doug conrad sc phaeton. this time in a farmers field in western ontario around 67 or 68 with doug conrad at the wheel explaining to former third owner alec watt just where the heck the coffin nose has disappeared to as alec holds the door ajar. both men are trying to teach the young ones how much fun restoring cords really is.....with dougs son listening in on the conversation from the passenger seat and alecs son in law, wally michalski, watching intently from the sidelines in his yellow shirt.

identification courtesy of terry watt.....alec watts son.

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
04 Jul 2010 22:07 #17254 by dryesandno

Alec Watt in the drivers seat circa 1941, Kitchener, Ontario. Alec was the third owner of this supercharged phaeton. Doug Conrad was the sixth owner.

The information on this picture comes from the back of a copy of the same picture which is in the files provided to me from Shirley Conrad.

Presumably Brockman provided a copy of the picture to Doug Conrad many years ago.....or perhaps vice verse, ha ha.

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2010 02:20 #15924 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord s/c phaeton - doug conrad car

OOPS........

well i guess nobody is perfect. not even doug conrad.

check out the damage to his prized possession.......

boy i bet there is story here. i wonder if anyone can tell it???

Jim Brockman Collection....surrogate insurance adjuster!!!

Mike Brady says the crumpled passenger fender happened in Hanover, not far from the Conrad residence......

was this before or after the restoration of 1995????

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
16 Feb 2010 02:03 #15922 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord s/c phaeton doug conrad car

well....another day and another auburn meet in the glistening doug conrad cord.......

note the previous picture had ACD club plate #355 while these two pictures are ACD club plate #353.....so this one is from another year. i guess Jim always searched out the Canadian cars at the annual meet......ha ha.

one thing about doug....he loved those auburn meets. drove there every year from north of Hanover in Ontario.

he sure was consistent....even when picking his parking spot.....in the shade....again...doug conrad style!!!

another fine collection of pics from the Jim Brockman Collection.

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2010 23:27 #15918 by dryesandno

well....perhaps you all are getting bored with my posts.

but i could never tire of researching my cord. here is another picture.

this time from the miscellaneous section of the Jim Brockman collection.

the fine gentleman.....Doug Conrad, on the left in both pictures. His wife Shirley just to his right in the bottom picture.

holding court with what i expect are some ACD chums. perhaps other members can identify the people and place the year of this ACD meet by the meet numbers on the car......

the Conrad car is identifiable as usual from the infamous CORD Ontario license plate.

a ribbon on the window....and a proud owner....for 45 years.

Doug found this car, researched it, restored it and drove it.....by himself, with the help of club members and with the support of his family!!!

as they say....a pictures tells a thouand words!!!!

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2010 22:44 #15914 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord 812 sc phaeton - doug conrad car.

i am pretty sure this is another cool picture of the Doug Conrad car in the shade......from the Jim Brockman collection.

here we have the wheel trim rings in that unusual cool orchard green, that interesting white steering wheel again. the defrosters of course....

the nice green dash board. the tan top, piped in green leather......

and the side view mirror....just as it is today. doug conrad liked to drive his car....so the side mirror was an important item for him!!!

and check out the nifty rear view window......full size viewing from the cockpit no doubt. just as the car is today. doug made two rear windows. one to drive with....sans this picture.....and one to show....tucked away and never used much in the trunk. ha ha.

the question that i have for our other members....who are the fine looking gentleman with those name tags on their shirts.....that are just not readable in the sunlight....

mike brady tells me the first gentleman on the left is Jim Brockman, the next is Jim Feathersone....the final one remains anonymous.....

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2010 22:29 #15911 by dryesandno

another picture of the Doug Conrad phaeton from the Jim Brockman collection......this time the rear end. ha ha.

this time identifiable by Doug's unique CORD Ontario License plate.

again....post 1995.

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2010 21:41 #15909 by dryesandno
Replied by dryesandno on topic 1937 cord s/c phaeton - doug conrad

A couple more fine images of the Doug Conrad phaeton from the Jim Brockman collection. Identifiable by the Cool Orchard Green exterior, the co-ordinating green interior, the interesting white steering wheel and the chromed cover over the instrument switches......just the way she looks today!!!!

the colour dates this picture after the restoration in 1995.......

say...i have a question for those experts in the club. you see the red on the interior of the windshield defrosters....is that correct, the interior of the defrosters were red?

More matches to come soon.......

• dryesandno
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
15 Feb 2010 19:12 #15904 by dryesandno
1937 cord 812 s/c phaeton - doug conrad was created by dryesandno

This picture from the Jim Brockman Collection is of the Doug Conrad car. Doug owned the car for 45 years from 1961 until his death in 2006. His wife, Shirley, had many great memories of being with Doug and the car. Every september long weekend she knew would be spent in Auburn. No doubt about that. When her husband passed away, it took her some time to come to terms with selling the car.

Eventually Shirley agreed to part with the car and i was the lucky one she chose as the purchaser in the summer of 2009.

The car was one of two 1937 supercharged phaetons originally delivered to Toronto, Ontario, Canada according to the research that canadian Jim Brockman has done. Through his acquistion of the McDonnell Mackie Toronto dealership records, Jim was able to trace the original owner, one Gordon Taylor, a famous golfer here in Ontario and all the original numbers on the car.

The car was certified by the ACD club under Paul Bryants supervision on May 6, 1992 ACD certificate C-068 Category 1.

The car is listed on the certificate as a 1937 cord 812 supercharged phaeton.

Serial Number 31646H
Engine number FC 2532
Body number C91-463
Frame number 646
Trans number T310
S/C number 1172

At the time of certification the car was dark blue in colour.

The ownership history is as follows:

Gordon Taylor -Toronto - 1937 to 1940
Harold Taylor - Hamilton - 1940 to 1941
Alec Watt - Kithchener - 1941 - 1943
Lloyd Mccabe - Bolton - 1943 - 1946
Max Narier - Toronto - 1946 - 1948
Mel Dorne - Toronto - 1951 - 1961

The certificate states the previous colours of the car were

black 1937-1941
two tone blue 1942 - 1944
maroon 1945 - 1966

Shirley Conrad says that her husband believed the original colour of the car to be Cool Orchard Green and thus Doug painted the car this colour when he restored it in 1995. Doug was a long time employee of the Ford Motor Company. She also believes Doug found the interior colour in a swatch under the seat and had a leather company match it exactly.......

Well, i am not sure about this part of the story. ha ha. Perhaps doug just liked Cool Orchard Green because you don't see many in this colour.

If anyone has any other pictures or information on the car, i would be pleased to see them......

Mike....was there any info on the back of this picture of where or when it was taken? The woman in the pink is Shirley Conrad. I will send her a copy to give her a smile......

Any other info Mike in the Brockman files on this car based on the owners i have listed????

brent