Timing chain tensioner

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
03 Apr 2018 17:34 #34413 by Curtis Bartell
Replied by Curtis Bartell on topic Timing chain tensioner
Thanks guys,
I did finally get it out. I used a trick that helps loosen stubborn joints to ease its removal. 50% transmission fluid and 50% acetone 24 hours before removal and I was able to remove it without using too much force. Try this mixture, it really works good on frozen rusty bolts and nuts. In this case I was dealing with years of varnish build up which it dissolves easily. The acetone helps it penetrate into impossible areas while the high detergent oil loosens rust and varnish build up. I have removed nuts, which are caked with rust, with an end wrench after a few days of soaking with this concoction. Try it. It really works.
Thanks, Curt

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
01 Apr 2018 18:55 #34408 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Timing chain tensioner
Might want to take pictures with a cell phone or use a viedo camera for research later if you forget a step. With all the modern technology these days we have no reason for forgetting how it came apart. Once your done and happy you can erase everything or save it to the computer like I do. I also publish what i do on the 810 812 site because I have an 812 Beverly I'm restoring sooooo slowly...

• K Clark
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2018 11:18 #34406 by K Clark
Replied by K Clark on topic Timing chain tensioner
It is a press fit. leave the washer off. either use the bolt you took out or another of the same thread, screw it in all the way . drive it out.
it only fits one way putting back( pay attention) when the tensioner is replaced with the timing chain on. hand turn it until the chain is tight. carefully install the spring tension. wind it up most of the way.

• Curtis Bartell
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Mar 2018 21:06 #34348 by Curtis Bartell
Timing chain tensioner was created by Curtis Bartell
How do you remove this part? I have removed the bolt from the shaft in the crank case, but gentle tapping don't move it. I don't want to break something. Also upon reinstalling it how do you adjust it?

"I've cut it twice and it's still too short."