Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

• Joel
  • Joel's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Member
  • ACD Club Member
More
28 Nov 2011 04:02 #21501 by Joel
Joel created the topic: Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions
Time for one our favorite sports, Duesenberg watching! Looks like plenty of them will be crossing the auction blocks this January in Arizona.

How about some friendly speculating, and maybe collecting some details about the cars, and even some predictions? There is plenty to talk about.

Will the spectacular 10 million dollar sale of the Whittell Duesenberg mean a rising tide for all Duesey's? Perhaps that is why so many are being offered. Or is our devastated economy forcing owners to bail? Obviously Mr. O'Quinns collecting affected the maket, as did his passing. Is the ripple effect from Mr. O'Quinn over, or will it carry on?

Gooding is offering this disapearing top Murphy Convertible Coupe, but no details could be found other that this little picture. Any one know the car?

RM is offering this Dual Cowl Phaeton:

Barret Jackson Is offering chassis 2401, engine J-381

I'm still thinking things over before I make any predictions. What do you guys think? Any other cars coming up for auction that you know of?

Have fun, Joel :D

Joel Nystrom
1929 Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Coupe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
28 Nov 2011 04:14 #21502 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Joel, the Murphy is J-284 / 2310, consigned out of CA, with a repro supercharger as discussed on the Murphy Convertible Coupe thread. The LeBaron is J-487 / 2336, an O'Quinn car.

I think the Whittell Coupe was a one-off case and expect the other cars to trade in the same price range for cars of their type as in the past few years. I would not be surprised to see J-381 / 2401 not reach reserve given its sale at Barrett-Jackson. That said, I don't really track market values, so I could be surprised.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

More
28 Nov 2011 17:16 #21503 by alsancle
alsancle replied the topic:
Is it just me or is it a bit peculiar that J-284 has 17 wheels with 19 sidemounts and the fenders for 19 wheels?

More
29 Nov 2011 00:08 #21504 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

alsancle wrote: Is it just me or is it a bit peculiar that J-284 has 17 wheels with 19 sidemounts and the fenders for 19 wheels?

Yes, looks like someone changed the driving wheels and has forgotten the spares...

Here is a photo with complete fitting wheels

http://duesey186.com/Datasheets/Model_J ... rm2310.htm

The auctionprices in january would be interesting. I guess/expect that there will be some more Model J "going to market" (private sale or auctions) next time.

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
30 Nov 2011 18:47 #21511 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
Is that red Murphy convertible coupe' the former old Eldon Eppy restoration that Don Williams/Blackhawk had offered at his first Hershey auction about ten years ago ?

If so~~~

We were there & were trying to bid on that model "J" at that time.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • ACD Club Life Member
More
30 Nov 2011 18:58 #21512 by Chris Summers
Chris Summers replied the topic:
Hi Brad,

No, the former Eby car is J-345 / 2367.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
Chandler-Cleveland Motor Club
CCCA

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds