Duesenberg Auction watching/ predictions

More
14 Dec 2011 14:21 #21624 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

Chris Summers wrote: The problem is that these cars risk being overshadowed by the once-in-a-lifetime sales of a lot of other great iron at about the same time - a Pierce Silver Arrow at B-J, the Moretti Packards at Gooding, and...well, everything in the Milhous collection. If you are a collector of major 1930s iron - what Bob Roller describes as "everything worth being caught dead in" - and not totally ACD faithful, there's a lot of opportunities not to be missed.

RM is pushing the Milhouses' J-208 / 2223 as the Dolores Del Rio Car. I believe it was actually owned at one time by her husband, Cedric Gibbons, the award-winning stage designer who created the Oscar statuette, and I've never seen anything identifying him as the original owner or any indication that he owned it very long.

Hello Chris,

I expect that there will be some more "one-in-a-lifetime-sales" coming up in the nearer future...

According to an article (Taking the hig road) by Dwight Schooling at "Automobile Quarterly" Volume 30 Number 4 (Summer 1992) the car (J-208) was, as you mentioned, owned by Cedric Gibbons, his wife Dolores del Rio owned a Muphy Town car (J-393?).

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• silverghost
  • Frequent Forum Contributor
More
14 Dec 2011 17:20 #21626 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:
I don't think the B-J Auction will be setting any new records here selling full Classics.
Decades ago B-J started their auction business selling Full Classics & Real Antiques.
In my opinion B-J is NOT the auction with which you want to consign your full Classic .
They are now basically a musclecar & hotrod/streetrod/restomod auction for what I call the more money that brains crowd.
Classics consigned at B-J usually sell for very little money.
Classic & Antique/Brass Era buyers usually don't attend B-J in any large numbers; if at all.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
14 Dec 2011 17:34 #21627 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
The Duesenberg Murphy town car consigned to BJ appears to have a reserve.

• silverghost
More
14 Dec 2011 18:04 #21628 by silverghost
silverghost replied the topic:

Steve Derus wrote: The Duesenberg Murphy town car consigned to BJ appears to have a reserve.

If it car does indeed have a reserve ~~~That would be quite unusual for the B-J auction as for the last half dozen years, or so, ALL cars had to be consigned at B-J Scottsdale with NO reserve~~~or B-J would NOT accept the consignment.
With this No reserve policy B-J always wins as ALL cars sell. ~~~ While seller/consigners often loose their shirt on many of the B-J auction no reserve sales.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

More
14 Dec 2011 20:59 #21629 by Steve Derus
Steve Derus replied the topic:
I received the BJ brochure in the mail. For the Duesenberg and a few other "high dollar" cars it does not state "no reserve" in the description, while all the other cars in the brochure have a notation "no reserve".

I agree that BJ has had a no reserve auction policy for a few years but it seems they are now making some exceptions.

Here's a link to the online description of the Duesenberg, note in the column marked "SALE TYPE" that it says "reserve".

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/applicat ... f22%2f2012

There's an Isotta that has a reserve also, and I think a few others.

Steve

More
24 Dec 2011 15:53 #21726 by landmark
landmark replied the topic:

landmark wrote:
Hello,

and one more, at the RM "Milhous-Collection" auction in Florida in febuary

http://www.rmauctions.com/CarDetails.cf ... CarID=r111

B.t.w. (according to the pictures) a nice looking car.

Matt

Hello,

one more Duesenberg Model J Murphy Convertible Sedan is for sale in January @Bonhams auction.

http://www.bonhams.com/usa/auction/19680/lot/334/

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.181 seconds