Another Labor Day week end at Auburn

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 22:04 #28170 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Auburn Hotel
My wife and I were in Ray Wolff's room with Melvin and another man and of course talking Duesenberg.Melvin's MCC was nearby but I think he was not in any shape to drive it.Same for Ray.My wife was NOT impressed with either of them and said she hoped they stayed out of the cars that night.
We stayed in Ft.Wayne at a Motel 6 in the late 1980's and both boys enjoyed the pool as did I.We like Van Wirt.It has a couple of decent hotels and a good restaurant or two.
9-11 tomorrow.Keep your powder dry and caps fresh.

Bob

Bob Roller

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 20:55 #28169 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Re: year of the Duesenberg 2015

Bob Roller wrote: Bill,
I would hope for more than 50 cars.Could it be these cars are so active being shuffled around in auctions that no more than 50 would be available?
I think in 1989?there were more than that in the park.

Mike,
I have heard the local hotels/motels gouge like mad during this event.
If this is true we will have none of it.We are more than willing to pay fair prices but will not support being gouged by any of them.
What say you or anyone else who sees this post.

Bob Roller

Bob,

The Auburn Hotel is the old historic one downtown where Melvin used to stay. Being old, many of the rooms don't have a full bath. Rodger does have a 3 night minimum. I have also heard that many of the regular hotels went begging this year, the crowds were less than usual. It's been many years since I availed myself of "normal" lodging at the reunion. In the late '80s, Motel 6 & the like in Ft. Wayne charged their regular rates, probably not any more. If you have access to an RV, the good folks @ Auburn Gear (right behind Eckhart Park with easy access) let you set up free, no hook ups tho.

Mike
8-100A

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 18:54 #28167 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic gouging
Mike,
I know those aren't gouging prices because this morning I booked a room in Lawrenceburg Indiana for $75. I called a motel near Auburn some time ago and was quoted $160.I asked what it would be when the car people were not around and was told $60.THAT is gouging or desperation and I won't support either.

Bob

Bob Roller

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 16:29 #28164 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Another Labor Day week end at Auburn
We are attending the Glidden Tour in Defiance Oh. the end of Sept. All the hotels in town are booked for the tour. The rates are $60. $75. and $100 per night depending on the hotel you chose. Not gouging.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 14:23 #28162 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic Another Labor Day week end at Auburn
I usually stay in Fort Wayne which is an even easier drive - 20 minutes. The Fairfield Inn in Fort Wayne was very comfortable this year. No problem with Auburn hotels, which I patronize regularly and enjoy the rest of the year, but I simply don't find the convenience worth the extra $$$ that weekend.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 13:34 #28161 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic 2015
Supply and demand?In some instances it's supply and gouge.As I said,we can afford it but refuse to support it.We have stayed in Van Wirt Ohio and it's an easy drive up 101 to Rt8.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Bill Hummel
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 11:48 #28158 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic 50 cars
We meant 50 [u:3rqzrpbz]Duesenbergs[/u:3rqzrpbz] which would be incredible!

Pebble Beach has only rounded up 32 I think in one time. We got over 70 at the 2010 DDR.

As far as the hotels, it's simple supply and demand. That's how this country operates.

It's possible to stay in nearby Kendallville or Fort Wayne if you want to pay a lesser rate. You certainly don't have to pay the Labor Day Weekend Rates if you don't want to.

Hotel accommodations should never prevent any of our members from coming.

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
10 Sep 2014 11:11 #28157 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic year of the Duesenberg 2015
Bill,
I would hope for more than 50 cars.Could it be these cars are so active being shuffled around in auctions that no more than 50 would be available?
I think in 1989?there were more than that in the park.

Mike,
I have heard the local hotels/motels gouge like mad during this event.
If this is true we will have none of it.We are more than willing to pay fair prices but will not support being gouged by any of them.
What say you or anyone else who sees this post.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• Mike Dube
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2014 21:40 #28139 by Mike Dube
Replied by Mike Dube on topic Re: 2015

Bob Roller wrote: Mike,
I'll make "if possible" plans for Auburn 2015.I'll be 79 or as I told one grandson,I went to grade school with Santa Claus.

Bob

Bob,

We all hope you can join us. If you want to stay at the Auburn Hotel in downtown Auburn, I am pretty sure Rodger & Janet Eddy can supply a room. Hoofing distance to the Museum & Eckhart Park if you are fairly spry. If not, members shuttle back and forth regularly. We'd love to have you at the presidential suite too. Paul & Matt Kaufmann still have the suite, with the passing of their dad Joe, Ray Wolff & the others. Another Duesenberg man would be welcome.

Mike
8-100A

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
08 Sep 2014 19:29 #28136 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic Year of the Duesenberg
We have set a goal of FIFTY DUESENBERGS for 2015. I am working with others to provide an extra special event for those drivers to make sure we hit our goal.

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2014 12:57 #28120 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Facebook
AJ,
We will both be lone hold outs.I like the rapid communications offered by the computerized world but so many have become addicted and other than life itself,I am not addicted to anything.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

More
07 Sep 2014 12:45 #28118 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Another Labor Day week end at Auburn
Facebook seems to be taking over (At least for the over 35 set). I've had more than a few people ask me to join for car related stuff in the last couple of months. However, I will be the lone hold out as I refuse to do it!

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
07 Sep 2014 11:38 #28116 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic 2015
Mike,
I'll make "if possible" plans for Auburn 2015.I'll be 79 or as I told one grandson,I went to grade school with Santa Claus.

Bob

Bob Roller

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2014 22:49 #28111 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Another Labor Day week end at Auburn
Your in luck Bob, year of the Duesenberg will be 2015. Will look forward to seeing you.
Cordially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
06 Sep 2014 13:26 #28108 by Bob Roller
Replied by Bob Roller on topic Auburn 2014
Andy,
I recall a fire truck here in Huntington WVa where we live that used a variant of the Auburn 12 and it took more water to cool it than it did to fight a fire..

Matt,
Many thanks for the link. My friend Helmut Mohr will be here next week from Mayen/Hausen and we will get together in Friendship,Indiana at the
National Muzzle Loading Rifle shoot.I have made him some fancy locks for the Scheibenbuchse he is making.

Bill,
Thanks for reminding me of Facebook,I do LITTLE with social media but did take a look.
When will there be another Year of the Duesenberg? That could get me out and up again.
The donation of Josh Malks Cord was a fine thing.My father owned a 1937 Cord and I have only a vague memory of it and of him. We had a neighbor
in Illinois that had a "J" and I do remember going to Wisconsin in it when I was a wee brat in the late 1930's and early 40's.
9-11 is upon us so stay alert and locked and loaded.All of you.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller

• convertiblesforever
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2014 16:14 #28101 by convertiblesforever
Replied by convertiblesforever on topic Another Labor Day week end at Auburn
Thank you for mentioning Facebook. I just found the ACD site @ Facebook. Very nice. A new source of information and pictures. Appreciated!

• Bill Hummel
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2014 12:43 #28100 by Bill Hummel
Replied by Bill Hummel on topic AUBURN REUNION
Hi Bob,

Auburn was a big success! Most action is now happening on FACEBOOK. Be sure to LIKE the AUBURN-CORD-DUESENBERG Facebook page so that you can keep up to date.

We were posting images in REAL-TIME of the parade. The beauty of FACEBBOK is its immediacy.

I see these forums as becoming purely technical and historical while the social aspects of the club move over to Facebook.

www.facebook.com/ACDCLUB

• landmark
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2014 11:02 #28099 by landmark
Replied by landmark on topic Re: Another Labor Day week end at Auburn

Bob Roller wrote: I didn't make it this year and probably won't again.Not one word on this Forum about it so I must assume it has gotten really stale.

Bob Roller

Hello Bob,

thre are some Auburn2014 photo-threads opened by "xin001" and "DJT" @Picture Gallery (b.t.w. thanks for sharing the pics)

forums.phpstack-1081784-3880776.cloudway...2/viewforum.php?f=18

Cheers

Matt

Was man besonders gerne tut,
ist selten ganz besonders gut

Wilhelm Busch

• auburnandyscar
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2014 02:48 #28098 by auburnandyscar
Replied by auburnandyscar on topic Another Labor Day week end at Auburn
Hi Bob, I am not sure of how much " chit-chat" is allowed ( or encouraged) on this forum. But I can say a few things:
The weather could not have been any better! The forecast early in the week was calling for rain Friday and Saturday, which never materialized.a nice cool breeze all day Saturday made it nice both in town and at the auction. Crowds were good sized at both events.
Thursday seems to be VERY busy day now with the return of the Hoosier tour, (luncheon)Extravaganza at the museum(evening) " white event" at the masaleum (evening) and at least three parties/cookouts/get togethers that even a goon like myself was invited to.
Also the normal crowd at the Auburn hotel.
I managed to get my 12 chassis running and drove it to the museum and up town both Thursday and Friday.cooling troubles had me concerned so I decided against trying the parade.
I met quite a few people that I have conversed with ( phone and email) for the first time in person which was fun also.
I do wish more members would utilize this board also.
Andy

Check out my build at:
www.1932auburnsedan.com

• Bob Roller
  • Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
05 Sep 2014 01:18 #28097 by Bob Roller
Another Labor Day week end at Auburn was created by Bob Roller
I didn't make it this year and probably won't again.Not one word on this Forum about it so I must assume it has gotten really stale.

Bob Roller

Bob Roller