Skip to main content

Gable SSJ J-567 photo

• HSS1929
  • Senior Forum User
  • Registered
More
20 Aug 2018 15:37 #35241 by HSS1929
Replied by HSS1929 on topic Gable SSJ J-567 photo
Great photo, thanks very much for posting this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2018 13:18 #35213 by alsancle
Replied by alsancle on topic Gable SSJ J-567 photo
Great photo!

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2018 16:59 #35187 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Gable SSJ J-567 photo
I agree with your comment above. The car parked at the curb appears most likely to have been J-567 associated with Clark Gable. I hope some well informed J Duesenberg people will weight in on this puzzle. Thanks again for posting this remarkable photo image, Jack Richards / #1080.

• maxkalba
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2018 05:22 #35183 by maxkalba
Replied by maxkalba on topic Gable SSJ J-567 photo
Yeah, this photo is a big mystery to me. At least in comparing the two SSJs, 563 seems to have had no passenger dash grab handle and an aux switch while 567 has had a dash handle and no switch. It would be odd that the two cars switched dashboards sometime in their lives. Also, it was my understanding (from Cunningham, Burgess) that 563 was repainted two-tone grey soon after delivery after Cooper’s wife complained about the two-tone tan color.

Attachments:

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2018 03:48 #35182 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic Gable SSJ J-567 photo
What a fabulous period photo image , whoever the passenger waiting for the return of the driver may be. Perhaps this is rather a view of J-563 /Chassis 2594 of Gary Cooper which was originally delivered in a Sand colored finish but repainted Dark Green to please his wife Sandra Shaw (nee Veronica Balfe). Perhaps the passenger is Sandra Shaw. Note what appear to be black painted headlamp bodies or maybe it is just the light playing tricks. Beautiful photo . Some enthusiast who is a better detective than I will certainly better identify the car and passenger. Comments please and thanks as well for this posting.

• maxkalba
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
07 Aug 2018 04:28 #35169 by maxkalba
Gable SSJ J-567 photo was created by maxkalba
Can anyone confirm that this is the SSJ driven by Gable and that is Zasu Pitts in the passenger seat? I noticed it has the passenger dashboard grab handle that J-567 still has today.

Attachments: