Safty check

• mikespeed35
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
03 Jun 2018 05:06 #34713 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Safty check
It won't happened to me again. I used Loctite and jam nuts.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2018 16:14 - 03 Jun 2018 15:48 #34710 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Safty check
Very good timely messages to anyone. For myself no matter what I drive I do a safety walkdown before I start my engine. When out of state or country when we hauled our horses to shows EVERY fuel stop I checked the goose neck hitch, chains, electrical and the tires on the trailer.Hauling half a million dollar horses comes with responsibilities. Now I realize no safety walk can spot every item but you at least have some idea the condition of your car, truck or trailer. Thanks Mike for bringing this up.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2018 15:48 by 1748 S.

• JIM.OBRIEN
  • Premium Forum User
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2018 14:45 #34709 by JIM.OBRIEN
Replied by JIM.OBRIEN on topic Safty check
Mike, Almost the same thing happened to Joel on his way home from the Spring Meet. A driver motioned him over, his gas tank was about a 1/4" from the road. The tank strap had been installed backwards. Instead of the loose end being folded over the T bolts and being secured by the tank it was hanging loose. It finally gave way on his way home and the tank dropped. Luckily he is OK and only some minor damage to the car.

It sounds like a quick check on all our cars would be time well spent!

• mikespeed35
  • Topic Author
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Jun 2018 04:33 - 02 Jun 2018 04:34 #34708 by mikespeed35
Safty check was created by mikespeed35
I just got back from the Eastern Tour, a 1900 mile trip. Some where in Ohio when it was 93 degrees I noticed something hanging down from the back of my Auburn. In inspection I found the webbing that goes between the gas tank and the underside of the body was hanging down. I pulled on it and it was tight so I thought I would check it when I got home. I found one gas tank bolt three turns from dropping of and the other finger tight. It might pay to check your cars straps just for piece of mind. Dropping the gas tank on the road might ruin your day, your car, and your life.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 02 Jun 2018 04:34 by mikespeed35.