Skip to main content

ACD Dealer List?

• uconn_1965
  • Registered
More
16 Sep 2017 21:11 #33573 by uconn_1965
Replied by uconn_1965 on topic ACD Dealer List?
There was an ACD dealership on the corner of Hudson and Park street in Hartford, ct.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• pete kelly
  • Registered
More
29 Aug 2017 14:06 #33485 by pete kelly
Replied by pete kelly on topic OHIO CORD DEALERSHIPS
Here is 1 from Wisconsin.
Attachments:

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
28 Aug 2017 15:31 #33484 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic OHIO CORD DEALERSHIPS
Hi,
Thank you, Jonathan!
I just sent an email off to the Cleveland Public Library requesting information on Cord dealerships in 1937. We'll see if they can help.

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
28 Aug 2017 02:06 #33483 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic OHIO CORD DEALERSHIPS
Hi, Tom, Try locating 1936/37 Polk-Husted Business Directories for Cleveland, Ohio. Quite a few Model 810/812 Cords were sold out of a Cleveland dealer. Your local library bresearch desk may have or be able to locate these volumes. They may be on the internet so you might try Google for same. Good searching, Jack Richards

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
27 Aug 2017 18:34 #33482 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic ACD Dealer List?
Doing a bit of CORD 810/812 research this afternoon and I want to spotlight for membership attention this effort by Justin Kerns to compile an ACD Dealer list. Justin began this thread on May pf 2010 and there have been numerous responses providing some dealership data. Jon Bill , ACD Museum Curator , has a list which can be accessed as well. If the cut/paste function on my computer can be made to work I append below text from an E-mail exchange I had with Australian member Terri Cockerell who supplied me and Jon Bill with dealership advertising copy from Australian dealers of the time. The information appears below. Let's keep up this search for the ACD dealerships,
In brief there are at least three (3) dealerships confirmed by
newspaper advertisements of the period from April, 1936 to January ,
1937. These are Stan Hill Motors, Ltd. of Sidney, AU , Stokoe Motors
Pty., Ltd. of Melbourne, AU and Sporting Cars Ltd. in a location not
discernible to me ( reported in an advertisement on 6-20-1936 in a
publication THE MAIL ).

• LeifHemy
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2017 01:24 #33387 by LeifHemy
Replied by LeifHemy on topic Looks interesting.

Brad,
In Philly there was Teefy-Seltz located at 1231 North Broad Street (maintence and parts were at 1230 N. Watts Street). They also had a showroom at 1518 Walnut Street in Allentown.

There was also another Auburn Cord dealer in Allentown but I can't find the info right now.
Jim

Hmm, I may have to check this out the next time I'd pass by that location. :)

• charlesflick
  • Registered
More
14 May 2013 01:29 #25186 by charlesflick
Replied by charlesflick on topic ACD Dealer List?
1932-33 Williams' Cincinnati directory
virtuallibrary.cincinnatilibrary ... ResID=1234
ACD motor cars
Rice Motors inc
1819 reading road
phone parkway 3351

from google sat image looks like it is gone

Charles Flick

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2013 05:14 #24564 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic ACD Dealer List?
J-444 estimate 900,000. to 1,200,000. There sure seems to be alot of zero's in old car prices now days. We have that to thank for hardly any of this type cars being driven any more.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2013 03:33 #24562 by silverghost
Replied by silverghost on topic ACD Dealer List?
Jim & guys~

From Google earth photos~~~

It appears that the Philadelphia 1231 North Broad Street showroom building might still possibly still exist . The building, and it's roof, appear to be very old .
Little has seemed to have changed, or been built new, on North Broad Street for many decades. It is not a very safe area to travel in today.

The Philadelphia 1230 N Watts street parts & maintence facility appears to be long gone and has been replaced by a fairly modern small pad-site lot centered building.

The 1518 Walnut street Allentown large dealership building might possibly still also exist today .
This looks like a combination auto dealer & service shop.

I will try to swing by the Philadelphia 1231 North Broad Street loction some day in the future.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
21 Feb 2013 02:38 #24561 by silverghost
Jim~

Thank's for the Philly Broad st. location info update .

I will have to check-out those locations when I get down to the big city and that Broad street area again.

For now I am trying Google earth photos to see what old buildings still remain at those three address locations .

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. BRAD HUNTER Huntingdon Valley Pa/Ocean City NJ 215 947 4676 Engineer & RE Developer Brass & Classic Auto, Antique Boat, Mechanical Automatic Music Machine, & Jukebox Collector

• Visitor
21 Feb 2013 02:26 #24560 by
Replied by on topic ACD Dealer List?
Brad,
In Philly there was Teefy-Seltz located at 1231 North Broad Street (maintence and parts were at 1230 N. Watts Street). They also had a showroom at 1518 Walnut Street in Allentown.

There was also another Auburn Cord dealer in Allentown but I can't find the info right now.
Jim

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2013 19:22 #24555 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic ACD DEALER LISTJustin Kerns
Justin Kerns started this thread in May of 2010. I would like to post the
Auburn-Cord dealership for what is now the state of Hawaii , but was at
that time a territory. I conducted research to identify this dealership back in February of 2007 because a Cord Model 810 cabriolet previously
owned by my brother Charles ( a former club member ) had origins on
the island of O'Ahu.
The Polk-Husted Business Directory for 1937-1938 at Page 35 shows
an advertisement for Pacific Motors , LTD located at 1159 Kapiolani Blvd., Honolulu , Hawaii. Their telephone number was 3723 and their
add indicates they were distributor for " Willys -- Cord -- Auburn " as
well as for Diamond T Trucks.
I have no knowledge of ID nos. on any Auburns sold through this
dealer but believe there is credible information showing connection of
the following listed Cord Models 810/812 with Hawaii and probably with
this dealership.
S#2656F - 1936 Model 810 Cabriolet - Formerly owned by my
brother and now by G. Ornazian of Michigan
S#31643H- 1937 Model 812 Supercharged Phaeton - Shown as
now owned by one W. Bronkow of Wisconsin
S#32410S - 1937 Model 812 Supercharged Beverly - Now owned
by J. Dwyer, Jr. of Colorado.
There may well have been other Cords and or Auburns with Hawaii
Territory connections. It was all a long time ago. And , of course , there is the oft told story about a Cord open car having appeared in the frames of a B&W movie taken during the bombing of Hickam Field
at Pearl Harbor on 12-7-1941. Who knows. Jonathan Richards at
Red Oak, Iowa aka <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url]

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2013 05:00 #24548 by silverghost
Mike~
Thank's for the aucton update~

I sure would like to see that car in person given our family's prior ownership connection.

I am sure J-444 will be way out of my reasonable purchase price range~~~Unless I want to sell my houses now to raise some needed fast cash ?

Oh Well~
At least I will still have those several old B&amp;W period photos of her with Dad's uncle William Hunter, her third known owner, standing next to it !
The photos we have show J-444 just before old Howard bought her &amp; chopped-up the original Derham tourister body to build his infamous glider &amp; experimental airframe tow car out of her.
It's a small wonder that J-444 still survives in any form or condition today !

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
20 Feb 2013 03:11 #24547 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic ACD Dealer List?
J-444 is being Auctioned by RM at Amelia Island this year.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• silverghost
  • Premium Member
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2013 21:21 #24543 by silverghost
How about any names and locations of any old former ACD dealers in the general Philadelphia area ?

Many very old car dealership buildings , of various auto brands, still survive to this very day in Philly.
A few are Landark buildings like the Packard office building, and it's giant art deco first level showroom still survive and. It' multi story upper office building is now a high-end luxury condo.
The very large Packard neon sign was restored and it is lighted every night.
The Derham custom coach &amp; bodyworks buildings still partially survive in the suburban Philly Rosemont Pa area
One is still an auto dealership.
As many ACD fans know Derham coachworks built many fine high end custom auto coaches for the Model J Duesenber;, as well as others . One such auo was J-444 a Derham tourister once first owned by actor Joe E. Brown, then later traded to a Ford dealer who in turn sold it to my great uncle William Hunter who shortly later sold it to his friend &amp;, real estate business associate, Howard Hughes who sadly chopped off the aft end of it's coachwork and turned her into his infamous glider tow car.
J 444 still exists today with a very high quality replica Derham tourister body. It sold at auction not long ago, as I believe it was then sold-off from the late John O'Quinn estate/collection.

I believe we still have some vintage B&amp;W period photos of William Hunter, &amp; Duesenberg J-444, as well as some other Classic autos, while it was still in his short term ownership !

I now often wonder if any ACD dealership showroom building still survives in the general Philadelphia area here today ?

Does anyone have any address, or dealer's names ?

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
19 Feb 2013 07:06 #24540 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic ACD Dealer List?
Does anyone know of a dealership in Newport, KY - I keep hearing that there is a Auburn Cord sign painted internally on a wall, though do not know where the building is to go and arrange a picture to be taken.

JMM

• RandyEma
  • Duesenberg Historian
  • Registered
More
09 Feb 2013 20:33 #24464 by RandyEma
Replied by RandyEma on topic ACD Dealer List?
There was untill quite resently a fellow living in Windover or near there by the name of Mcbride who had a number of his fathers Cords and claimed hids dad worked at a dealership in Salt Lake . Randy

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
09 Feb 2013 16:10 #24462 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Denver dealer
Hi Justin and all: from Randy Ema and a 1932 phone book; the Denver Auburn-Cord dealer was E.J.Johnson, Inc at 1425 to 1437 Cleveland Place, Denver; phone TAbor 6291. Give a call, and see who picks up!
Also, Dave McCann has reference to Folkrod Motors at 170 S. Broadway; this was in 1935.
Cleveland St. ( not Place) is a very short street nowadays. I assume there was a name change since 1932.
For historical reference purposes, I also think it would be a great idea to catalog all the dealers throughout the country, and overseas. Old phone books are a good start.
CORDially, Tim.

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
18 Feb 2011 19:20 #19304 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic dealers
Hello all: from Randy Ema's files: a Denver, CO Auburn-Cord dealer was EJ Johnson, Inc., 1425-37 Cleveland Place, Denver.
Somewhere I have another find from an old phone book, but can't seem to find it right now.
Tim.

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2011 19:24 #19253 by Justin Kerns
Replied by Justin Kerns on topic ACD Dealer List?
Greg is correct - if you email Jon at <a href="mailto:[email protected]][email protected][/url] he should be able to send you the Utah information they have. It is not complete or exhaustive by any means but is a good starting point.

Justin

Justin
1932 Auburn 12-160A Sedan
1933 Auburn 12-161A Sedan

• Greg Frownfelter
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2011 12:34 #19247 by Greg Frownfelter
Replied by Greg Frownfelter on topic ACD Dealer List?
I beleive John Bill at the ACD museum has such
a list.

• kedeuel2008
  • Registered
More
14 Feb 2011 10:11 #19242 by kedeuel2008
Replied by kedeuel2008 on topic ACD dealers in Utah.
:D I have a friend here that said that his father was the ACD dealer in Utah. There last name is McBride. Could you guys varifiy this for me please. :D
Thanx Kim

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2010 23:27 #18844 by Justin Kerns
I'm sad to say I haven't made much progress on this yet but have a list of old photography studios here in town that have a lot of photography of old dealerships downtown. I intend to check with them to try to dig up some photos.

The ACD Museum has compiled an informal list of known dealers based on pieces in the archives that have dealer stamps on them and also company correspondence. It is enormous and difficult to qualify. There is no differentiation between a small repair garage that bought a part once and a full blown showroom dealer. Nevertheless it is a starting point and I'm happy to have the reference.

Tim I'd love the info on the Cleveland St. dealer sometime thanks.

Justin

Justin

• Tim Gilmartin
  • Registered
More
20 Dec 2010 22:12 #18843 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic denver dealers
Justin: Somewhere in my stack of papers I have the address of an ACD dealer in Denver. It was on Cleveland St. which is a very short block. I found it by going through old phone book yellow pages at the library. Probably can do it on-line now. Anyhow, Cleveland has no dealer buildings left.

• mason maynard
  • Registered
More
19 Dec 2010 19:07 #18833 by mason maynard
Replied by mason maynard on topic auburn dealerships
I visit the Auburn showroom in Chicagos automobile row as often as possible.
It is an interesting area with the strong majority of the buildings being dealerships or in the automotive trade.
I usually order an Auburn 12 salon, in polychromatic colors ,and I have a deposit there ready to go, but I cannot make up my mind as to body style.
Seriously, if anyone is in Chicago and would like to tour the dealership, and auto row, feel free to contact me. Auto row iss mostly on Cermack rd (2200 south) and Michigan av.
There is alot of gangster history there and music history. Tours of Chess Records are available.
I would like to have all the Chicago photos of ACD cars, and belive me , many photos were shot there, in particular by Soldiers Field, downtown, and in front of a well known tall building in Hyde Park, across from todays Science and Industry.

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
04 Jun 2010 02:26 #16999 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic ACD Dealer List?
Justin, look up Newsletter Vol. XL No. 3, 1992, p. 15, for a photo of the Rousselle Motor Co. sign.

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
25 May 2010 03:24 #16859 by Justin Kerns
Josh - I have a cheap account at www.fatcow.com that I use to host all my photos. I highly recommend them - although it is not free it is darn close and their customer service is awesome. Alternatively if you want to send me the photo I will post it up for you. My email is jkerns25 "at" gmail.com.

All - I will start compiling a list and view it as a long-term project. In the short term I won't have much time to aggressively research but I would love to collect whatever information members have and care to share.

Also if anyone has evidence or rumor of a specific car coming from a specific dealership I think it would be interesting to capture that information as well. I'm happy to record all the data if others can help provide it.

Please post it up here or feel free to email me at:

jkerns25 "at" gmail.com

Thanks!
Justin

Justin

• jhcarlady
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
23 May 2010 11:52 #16834 by jhcarlady
Replied by jhcarlady on topic acd dealers
There are a few pictures of the dealership in toronto in the Jim Brockman collection.

jhcarlady/
Joan Huffman

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
22 May 2010 16:14 #16829 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic ACD Dealer List?
Yeah, I couldn't get the links I tried to work. Where do others store their photos for uploading?

The building may well have been demolished. But the photo survives.

Justin, you could kick off a long-term and valuable project archiving the names and addresses of Auburn, Cord and Duesenberg dealers. Most of the information exists, fragmented as you say. I'll bet the museum would support this effort too. And you might check with Jon Bill regarding what they already have.

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2010 16:03 #16828 by Justin Kerns
Josh, your link does not appear to work. I get an album with no photos in it. My father bought a copy of Cord Complete for me but I'm not allowed to look at it until my birthday!

I have read that the Rousselle Motors building was demolished in the 90's by the adjacent church. I haven't had a chance to go look for myself yet but maybe your information contradicts that and the building may survive? That would be great!

Jon do you happen to know if there were any dealers in Iowa? I am from Bettendorf originally and my entire family is from SE and NW Iowa.

Chris it sounds, based on the feedback I'm getting here, as though the dealer information may be fragmented. Perhaps I'll have to start a list myself.....

Justin

• Josh Malks
  • Registered
More
22 May 2010 15:48 #16826 by Josh Malks
Replied by Josh Malks on topic ACD Dealer List?
The side of Rousselle Motors in Colorado Springs was revealed when the adjacent building was demolished. (A doctored photo appears on page 134 of [i:ljfttxe9] Cord Complete[/i:ljfttxe9] with the modern cars removed.) This dealership is famous in model railroad circles too. In the 1960s or so a decal of the artwork was produced and sold by Walther's in HO and O scales. Using the prices as a guide perhaps an Auburn scholar can determine the year the sign was painted.

I have the photo, if I can figure out how to upload it!

Josh B. Malks
810 2087A
ACD Club Life Member
ACD Newsletter editor
Past president
www.automaven.com

Check out CORD COMPLETE at www.cordcomplete.com

• Chris Summers
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
22 May 2010 05:53 #16825 by Chris Summers
Replied by Chris Summers on topic ACD Dealer List?
Bruce Perry Motors was our local dealer in Huntington, WV. They were Chrysler, Plymouth, and DeSoto dealers mainly but sold at least one late Auburn and one L-29.

Perry Motors was also reportedly the agent through which Doran Hinchman of Logan, WV, ordered Murphy Convertible Coupe J-357 / 2388. This was the only Duesenberg I know definitively to have been sold new in WV (and it remains in the hands of Mountain State natives to this day). As mentioned in the current Duesy Notes, an A or X phaeton (not a limousine - my flub) was in town earlier in the 1920s, but we have no way of knowing if its owner was the original buyer or not. To be blunt, everyone with first-hand memory of the car is dead.

The dealership was located at 7th Street East and 4th Avenue.

There were later ACD "service centers" in the area, working on the cars once they became used curiosities, most notably Irwin's Tire Service (our own small-scale John Troka).

Chris Summers
ACD Club
CCCA
H.H. Franklin Club

So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

• Jonathan Richards
  • Registered
More
22 May 2010 02:13 #16824 by Jonathan Richards
Replied by Jonathan Richards on topic COMPILING AN ACD DEALER LIST
Mr. Kerns,
The following information will help you not a bit in determining who the
Denver, Colorado ACD dealer/distributor/s might have been but to begin
your list let's identify the distributor for Auburn and Cord in our now 50th
state, i.e. Hawaii.
Some research I conducted some years ago, utilizing a copy of the
POLK-HUSTED DIRECTORY CO. "Directory of City and County of Honolulu
and the Territory of Hawaii" Vol. 1937-38 , XLIV , showed that distrubutor
for Willys, Cord, Auburn and Diamond T Trucks was PACIFIC MOTORS LTD
which was located at 1159 Kapiolani Blvd. Their telephone # was 3723. I
attempted, utilizing auto enthusiasts/hobbyists on O'AHU , to conduct some
additional research trying to identify the name of the owners of the firm
and then to try to locate relatives still living in Honolulu. This effort met with little success. I am familiar with at least three Cord Models 810/812
that were most probably sold by the referenced Hawaiian distributor. Then
there is the story told about an open Cord of Model 810/812 which was
allegedly owned by a serviceman and parked on the tarmac of Hickam
Field on the morning of December 7, 1941 as the Japanese dive bombers
and fighters attacked Pearl Harbor. Everytime I watch " TOTA TORA " or
old newsreels of the exploding aircraft on the field I wonder if there was
in fact a Cord there and whether it was destroyed in the attack or perhaps
survived. If it survived I think I know what vehicle it is and was. It is still
in existence in this country and beautifully restored. That is another story
for another day. Best Regards, Jonathan Richards at Red Oak, Iowa

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
22 May 2010 01:19 #16823 by Justin Kerns
Steve,

No problem - I'd be happy to share whatever I find out with you.

Tom,

Same with you but I'm not going to focus on Ohio.

If there are no consolidated records of any type either within the Club or the Museum then I'll have to go hit the newspaper archives and start digging.

I'd still love to start with a little more information to narrow the search so hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will chime in with some info.

Thanks,
Justin

Justin

• Tom_Parkinson
  • Registered
More
21 May 2010 20:34 #16822 by Tom_Parkinson
Replied by Tom_Parkinson on topic ACD Dealer List?
Hi,

Any list of dealers in Ohio would be appreciated. The Old Lady's history before 1950 is unknown to me.

Thanks,

--Tom

With brakes, two cylinders are better than one.

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus, The Hardtop News Magazine, the Journal of the Michiana Dunes Region, Lambda Car Club International

See pix of 1509A here: mbcurl.me/YCSE

More
21 May 2010 19:17 #16819 by sds1861
Replied by sds1861 on topic ACD Dealer List?
Hello Justin:
My 1932 Auburn was sold new in Denver. If you find any information or photos on the Auburn dealership there, I would be interested in purchasing copies.
Regards,
Steve Stevens

• Justin Kerns
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
21 May 2010 16:53 #16818 by Justin Kerns
ACD Dealer List? was created by Justin Kerns
Is there a list somewhere of ACD dealers? I'm interested in researching the Colorado based dealers. I know there was one in Colorado Springs and I presume one in Denver also but I'm not sure where to start looking.

Perhaps the Museum has this information?

Thanks!
Justin

Justin