New Website Questions and Answers

More
12 Jan 2017 07:13 #32261 by Frank L
Frank L replied the topic: New Website Questions and Answers
Thank you Tom, I will.
Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2017 02:51 #32407 by Brad Hoskins
Brad Hoskins replied the topic: New Website Questions and Answers
I had occasion to look in my inbox for an old private message. There was information in there than I was keeping.
They appear to be gone from the new forum.
Where doI find them or are they really gone?

Thanks
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

More
31 Jan 2017 03:09 #32408 by 1748 S
1748 S replied the topic: New Website Questions and Answers

Brad Hoskins wrote: I had occasion to look in my inbox for an old private meI was reading this same question a few days back. Sadly it turns out the new web site coulod not take the old information as you asked about. I too lost plenty of great information. Even doubly sad is some of the members have passed on that shared valuable information with me. I was keeping it for references.ssage. There was information in there than I was keeping.
They appear to be gone from the new forum.
Where doI find them or are they really gone?

Thanks
Brad

• thomaslee
  • thomaslee's Avatar Topic Author
  • ACD Club Vice President
More
31 Jan 2017 03:34 #32409 by thomaslee
thomaslee replied the topic: New Website Questions and Answers
Brad,

old private messages could not be moved from the old forum to this new one. sorry.

-Tom

More
31 Jan 2017 05:20 #32410 by Brad Hoskins
Brad Hoskins replied the topic: New Website Questions and Answers
Tom
I think I probably know the answer but I'll ask anyway...
Were they backed up and archived somewhere and can they be accessed some other way? Was there any consideration to storing them or even issuing a warning before the changeover occurred?
I'm really doing my best to get used to the forum. I am on a number of other forums and I have to say that this new format is particularly ....difficult....... to be kind. It seems to have its own sort of non-standard feel about it, not sure what great advantages it confers over other forums ( See AACA for instance which , even when it gets tweaked every few years retains the same basic operability.) . I suppose all will be revealed but this reminds me too much of the new system at work that we got three years ago that was supposed to help employees with marvelous efficiencies and which I still struggle with everyday.
Bit late to ask I suppose but what exactly was wrong with the old forum and why exactly was this one chosen?
Thanks
Brad

31 8-98 cabriolet

• thomaslee
  • thomaslee's Avatar Topic Author
More
02 Feb 2017 01:11 #32418 by thomaslee
thomaslee replied the topic: New Website Questions and Answers
Brad,

as you suspected, we were unable to archive or migrate those messages, and unfortunately they were lost. yes, there was consideration, but due to a variety of technical reasons, we could not keep them. sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused.
to your other comments, all I can say is that the new forum has been researched and is in many ways, better and more usable than the old forums. we do not have the resources nor the funds that the AACA has. we try to provide the best experience that we can with what we have to work with. that said, I will be writing a series of "help topics" articles in upcoming Newsletters that will talk about using some of the new features and capabilities of the forums now.
there were many things "wrong" and problematic with the old system. I understand that any new system is problematic to learn, but I hope that in time, it will get easier to use.
I will point out that one key consideration of the new forum was something that would be easy to use and also easy to manage. we needed a way to link club membership to the forum and allow us to better managed club memberships online. the old system was very manual and there were constant complaints about the stability, password issues, and other problems.
in time, we'll get used to the new system.
Thank you for your patience.

-Tom

Moderators: Joe Holderman
Time to create page: 0.096 seconds