• Bobavet
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
04 May 2013 22:11 #25135 by Bobavet
Dear Auburn Owners,
Me again... the "newbie."
The original Auburn ignition key lock on my Speedster has jammed. I can rotate the OFF-ON lever up and down, but I can't rotate the key to remove it from the key hole.
When I purchased the speedster I inserted the key, turned it to the right, and that moved the OFF-ON lever shaft to the right. Then I rotate the ON-OFF lever from OFF down to ON turn on the electrics. The process was reversed to turn off and remove the key.
Turning the key and moving the shaft was "tight" from the start, and when I rotated the lever to from OFF to ON it was tight and smooth.
Now when I rotate the ON-OFF lever there is a "pop" as it's rotated from OFF to ON and vice-versa. It's no longer smooth as before, and the key cannot be rotated and removed.
I've tried tapping on the end of the shaft as I turn the key to the left. Also removing the lever and spraying some WD40 in the shaft area. No change. It's really jammed.
If I apply any more force to the key I'll snap it off. I can still start the car and turn it off using the OFF-ON lever, but I can't remove the key.
I've disconnected the battery to make sure it isn't drained through the ignition switch.

Help?

Robert Diepenbrock
Chandler, Arizona

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.