Skip to main content

Ammeter short

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2018 23:05 #35386 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Ammeter short
The modern gas gauge fluid is not corrosive . The trick is get the stuff that doesn't turn clear.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2018 21:35 - 09 Sep 2018 21:36 #35385 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Ammeter short
The amp meter is in the same cluster as the gas gauge. The gas gauge fluid is very corrosive and will rust anything inside the cluster. I vented my gas gauge outside the cluster to keep the amp. gauge from getting "crusty"
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman
Last edit: 09 Sep 2018 21:36 by mikespeed35.

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
09 Sep 2018 18:48 - 09 Sep 2018 18:48 #35384 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Ammeter short
I have adapted in other ammeters - last one was from a WWII Jeep - usually takes a little filing and handwork. And, be super careful regarding shorting. and that nothing dislocates when tightening the terminals.

JMM
Last edit: 09 Sep 2018 18:48 by johnmereness.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
11 Jun 2018 11:37 #34758 by ilikescars
Ammeter short was created by ilikescars
Thought I'd share this experience with the clubmembers:
I recently installed a wiring loom on a 36 Auburn along with an ammeter in the dash. The ammeter looked a little crusty, but otherwise OK.
After running the car and shutting it off, I walked away for a moment. Upon returning to the car, I saw tons of smoke billowing from the wiring loom.
I immediately pulled the ground cable off the battery and the the smoke subsided. I discovered that the red wire coming off the Startix had burned it's insulation off. Looking at the ammeter, I guessed that the wire may have grounded on the body of the instrument cluster near the ammeter.
Maybe someone can add their thoughts to this problem. (Best to use a new ammeter?)