Skip to main content

Condenser

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
07 Oct 2018 12:05 #35645 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic Condenser

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2018 18:27 #35633 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Condenser
Found info on H.A.M.B

• johnmereness
  • Registered
More
06 Oct 2018 18:00 #35629 by johnmereness
Replied by johnmereness on topic Condenser
I highly recommend a NOS one from Curt - there is nothing more distracting under a hood than a supercharged car going for a top award that has a $10.00 auto parts new condenser (esp. one with a blue wire or ...) hanging on the outside of the distributor.

JMM

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2018 05:37 - 02 Oct 2018 11:38 #35551 by Curt Schulze
AACA Go to Technical, got o quiz

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt
Last edit: 02 Oct 2018 11:38 by Curt Schulze.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
02 Oct 2018 03:46 #35550 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Condenser
Where is the website. I'd like to read their opinion.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2018 12:16 #35544 by Curt Schulze
The capacitor / condenser, is a tuned circuit with the inductance of the coil. Therefore the farad (micro, micro micro (pf for the under 50 year olds) or Nano for you new guys) rating of the condenser is the important specification. Voltage will never be mentioned in ignition circuits. The farad rating of the condenser affects the wear of the points, as it affects the current in the circuit.
Paper capacitors get moisture in them (paper insulator absorbs water when the wax fails) and causes low resistance or "leakage" failure between terminals. Mylar and polyester insulators much better. Some can go bad sitting on the shelf, others work for years. You can test them, with these new Fluke (or other brand) DMMs. Check the Farad rating, and if that is in range, check the resistance. It SHOULD be infinite or at least megohms. I have at least 40 in stock new and NOS none are marked with a voltage.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2018 11:49 #35543 by ilikescars
Replied by ilikescars on topic Condenser
I read on another website that it does matter that you specify a 6 volt condenser for a 6 volt system.

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2018 11:20 #35542 by Curt Schulze
That is interesting Mike. I didn't know about the pigtail length. The s/c cars have a longer pigtail than the non s/c eight as it is in the distributor.
The sixes hang outside as well.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
29 Sep 2018 04:04 #35541 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Condenser
What's important on condensers is microfarad. NAPA knows that if you get the right guy. I always buy asking for microfarad and pig tail length. Some cond. have too short a pigtail but the right microfarad. Curt is right about 6V or 12V, cond. doesn't care.
CORDiallyMike

Mike Huffman

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2018 21:34 #35536 by Curt Schulze
You have to look at applications, not voltage. Condensers apparently aren't sold based on voltage, and that's why the clerk may have been confused. Asking for a Auburn 8 cylinder condenser" will produce results. Yes, it is still in the NAPA books.
Condenser s don't know voltage 6/ 12 does not matter.

Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• 1748 S
  • Platinum Member
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2018 15:52 #35533 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic Condenser
Thanks for sharing this. Best I can tell mine in my 37 Cord probably is from the late 1949 time frame. So it "could be" original. Someone before me used some black electrical tape on the wire.Guess it was failed. It looks like its ready to fall off. Happy to note I replaced it during my distributor restoration.

Gary Parsons

• ilikescars
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
28 Sep 2018 15:15 #35531 by ilikescars
Condenser was created by ilikescars
My Auburn was starting OK, but then stalling right away. I made a guess that the condenser was bad and decided to replace it. Unfortunately, when I asked for a 6 volt condenser at an auto supply, the clerk had no idea what I was talking about. Went on-line and found what I needed, and within a few days received a new Mallory 6 volt condenser. Now the engine runs perfectly. Learning experience: condensers must go "stale" after sitting on a shelf for 10 years.