Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville

More
18 Jun 2017 22:24 #33178 by RandyEma
RandyEma replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Did not survive

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2017 00:01 #33179 by Curt Schulze
Curt Schulze replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
These documents show 146 (35-36) speedsters , could there possibly be more than that ?

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Cheers
Curt

More
19 Jun 2017 03:12 #33180 by RandyEma
Yes , But it is just a guess. R

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
09 Jul 2017 12:26 #33240 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Sorry to take so long to get back to you guys. In the story I wrote on finding the pictures of my Cord, The Actonite Cord with its original owner taken in 1936 I touched upon the subject of weather conditions in 1936. The weather experienced in North America during 1936 was extreme. Williamsport PA was flooded during March 1936. The Lycoming engine factory foundry was destroyed and not rebuilt consequently the supply of engine blocks dried up. Towards the end blocks that were in field storage were dug from the mud to be machined. Without engines production of cars could not continue. The normal practice was to store the engine blocks in the open to stress relieve them before machining them. Once the stock pile was finished no more engine blocks were cast. Stan Gilliland filled me in on the story.

T cockerell

More
09 Jul 2017 17:58 #33241 by RandyEma
Terry. Lycoming did not stop making non Aviation motors until 1938

• Terry Cockerell
  • Terry Cockerell's Avatar Topic Author
  • Forum Contributor
  • Forum Contributor
More
09 Jul 2017 22:34 #33242 by Terry Cockerell
Terry Cockerell replied the topic: Last Auburn Off The Assembly Line In Connersville
Hi Randy. I do not know enough of the whole story just bits from various sources. The Susguehanna River rose around 48 feet in March 1936 destroying the engine plant foundry. I have worked in smelters in Newcastle, New South Wales rebuilding them is an enormous undertaking and expensive. As the demand for ACD cars was decreasing rebuilding the foundry would have been a gamble.
What type of engines were being made until 1938 ?

T cockerell

Time to create page: 0.104 seconds