Skip to main content

1931 Auburn 8-98A Wire Wheels

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
15 Aug 2023 14:24 #47572 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1931 Auburn 8-98A Wire Wheels
I agree Mike, and the whitewalls are only white on one side.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
15 Aug 2023 04:11 #47567 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic 1931 Auburn 8-98A Wire Wheels
I question the "factory Photo" Looks like car has radio antenna.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

More
12 Aug 2023 21:04 #47561 by gnutting
Replied by gnutting on topic 1931 Auburn 8-98A Wire Wheels

Jack Triplett
1931 Auburn 898A speedster

More
12 Aug 2023 20:56 #47560 by gnutting
Sorry for the bizarre response above, the website did me in (perhaps it thought I took too long to compose my reply and search for the photo). And perhaps in punishment (!), it wouldn’t accept my password (same one I used the first time) when I tried to get back on.

I did quite a bit of digging on this question for my 8-98A speedster. Chrome wire wheels were first offered as an Auburn option on the 1932 model 8-100, and were not listed for 1931 8-98A. Might have been special orders, or even a change during the year, I don’t know about that, but chrome wires are not among the listed options for 8-98A and do not appear on any factory photo for 8-98A that I’ve seen. When acquired, my 8-98A had chrome wire wheels, but the Miami restorer had chromed over old spokes. Chroming makes them brittle (beware), so I had to have all 6 wheels rebuilt with new spokes. Needed to know what was original. Painted wheels were trim color, as the attached (if I can do it) factory photo shows: Fairly sure this car is ivory with Carmine trim, standard Auburn color scheme. Chroming does provide an extra element of “glitz”, but having had chromed and painted wire wheels, I’ve come to prefer the painted ones, Auburn styling is ‘glitzy’ enough on its own.

Jack Triplett

More
12 Aug 2023 20:32 #47559 by gnutting

Good day to all.  I am trying to determine what options were available from the factory for wire wheels on a 1931 Auburn 8-98A. Mine is the Convertible Sedan model with dual side mounts.  When I purchased the car it had painted hubs and rims with chrome spokes and nipples.  Before I spend $$$ having them redone, I would like to make sure this was an original option.  I have seen them this way on a few cars, but do not want to assume that makes it correct. I have also seen many wire wheels fully painted and others that are completely chrome (nickel) plated. If someone can give me a definitive answer, I would appreciate it.  

Jack Triplett

• Curt Schulze
  • Registered
More
12 Aug 2023 00:06 #47558 by Curt Schulze
Replied by Curt Schulze on topic 1931 Auburn 8-98A Wire Wheels
It has been my experience the rims were either all chrome or all painted.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
Be of Good Cheer
Curt

• rollingsculpturesllc
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
11 Aug 2023 20:19 - 11 Aug 2023 20:21 #47554 by rollingsculpturesllc
1931 Auburn 8-98A Wire Wheels was created by rollingsculpturesllc
Good day to all.  I am trying to determine what options were available from the factory for wire wheels on a 1931 Auburn 8-98A. Mine is the Convertible Sedan model with dual side mounts.  When I purchased the car it had painted hubs and rims with chrome spokes and nipples.  Before I spend $$$ having them redone, I would like to make sure this was an original option.  I have seen them this way on a few cars, but do not want to assume that makes it correct. I have also seen many wire wheels fully painted and others that are completely chrome (nickel) plated. If someone can give me a definitive answer, I would appreciate it.  

Last edit: 11 Aug 2023 20:21 by rollingsculpturesllc.