Skip to main content

Help with Bendix master and wheel cylinders please!

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
24 Jun 2023 06:09 - 24 Jun 2023 06:10 #47345 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Help with Bendix master and wheel cylinders please!
Hi Aris.
I agree a smaller bore in the master cylinder should give a greater braking force at the wheel cylinders. The hydraulic ratio is F2 = F1 x A2/A1
Where F2 is the force applied by the wheel cylinders, F1 is the force applied by the foot , A1 is the cross sectional area of the master cylinder and A2 is the cross sectional area of the wheel cylinder. Well that is the theory behind it all.

T cockerell
Last edit: 24 Jun 2023 06:10 by Terry Cockerell. Reason: Spelling error
The following user(s) said Thank You: Aris Loumidis

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2023 08:22 #47344 by Aris Loumidis
Replied by Aris Loumidis on topic Help with Bendix master and wheel cylinders please!
Hi George,
Yes I heard the masters were the same and wondered about their bores, anyway I'm now going to a 1' Bendix master hoping to have better performance. Aris

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
23 Jun 2023 01:11 #47343 by Terry Cockerell
Replied by Terry Cockerell on topic Help with Bendix master and wheel cylinders please!
Hi George, yes you are probably correct however Aris was trying to get an idea of his wheel cylinder and mast cylinder sizes.
I assumed the master cylinder used on the 810 and 812 was the same size but was not certain.

T cockerell

• George van Nostrand
  • Registered
More
22 Jun 2023 23:57 #47342 by George van Nostrand
Replied by George van Nostrand on topic Help with Bendix master and wheel cylinders please!
Terry This catalog listing may be for the 1936 810's with Lockheed brakes.
!937 production used Bendix brakes. The master cylinders were the same for all 810 & 812 Cords.

Restoring 1936 Cord Westchester sedan.2023 A
The following user(s) said Thank You: 1748 S

• Terry Cockerell
  • Elite Forum User
  • Registered
More
21 Jun 2023 07:07 #47338 by Terry Cockerell
Aris attached is a page from the Parts Book which gives details of the wheel cylinders. There are some up grades listed.
The Parts book does not list the master cylinder size however mine is 1 1/8" diameter.

T cockerell

• Aris Loumidis
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
20 Jun 2023 10:00 #47335 by Aris Loumidis
Hi to everyone! Way back i switched from Locheeds to Bendix,  but I am not sure If at the time I installed all the correct hydraulic parts on it, i.e. check the picture of the Master's cap cover that indicates it is a Lockheed. As I'm replacing all hydraulics going back to Dot 4 after decades of Silicon Dot 5, I want to be sure I install the correct Benix parts. I'm pretty sure the Front wheel cylinders should be 1-1/8'  and ther Rear ones 15/16'. Is this correct? Now should the Master cylinder be 1' or 1-1/8? Thanks ahead for the help!Cordially,Aris 

Aris Loumidis
Athens, Greece
ACD Life Member