• wildcatkelly
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2011 04:02 #21299 by wildcatkelly
Replied by wildcatkelly on topic Fuel Tank, Snubbers and Hubcap Planishing
Mike brings up a very good point.

I am a hobby mechanic / car enthusiast and started working on this Cord after finished a 1950 Plymouth, 1955 Fairlane and a few others. I'm driven by 2 fundamental premises...

Do no harm - meaning, keep the car as original as possible ( for me, due to lack of funds that means seek alternatives that I feel do not compromise it, steel brake lines instead of copper, and such )

Do as much work yourself as possible - body, engine, paint, brakes, suspension, interior, once again due to lake of funds and mostly because a car ( like this one ) is just cool to work on, figure things out, find solutions.

If I mention an idea that seems hare-brained it probably is, I make plenty of wrong choices, but occasionally a couple of right ones, so if you know better, please comment, so that others ( including myself ) may benefit along the way.

CORDially Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wildcatkelly
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2011 03:19 #21298 by wildcatkelly
Replied by wildcatkelly on topic Fuel Tank, Snubbers and Hubcap Planishing
Very true indeed!

Naturally this one had a hole in it as big as my daughter and no gas in it since 1974.

But point well taken.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
01 Nov 2011 03:11 #21297 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Fuel Tank, Snubbers and Hubcap Planishing
Beware welding on gas tanks if you want to live another day!
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• wildcatkelly
  • Topic Author
  • Non-Member
  • Registered
More
29 Oct 2011 17:10 #21286 by wildcatkelly
Fuel Tank, Snubbers and Hubcap Planishing was created by wildcatkelly
Fuel Tank
Imagine a large hole in at the bottom of your fuel tank, and you will have what I did.

( before starting remove the float )

There are several blogs about a guy who builds them, and given the funds that definitely would be the way to go, but I need those funds for heads, so I decided to fix it myself.

Only notable items would be "make sure you mig welder is set to the lowest possible settings" and be generous about tacking at various locations + naturally super clean the welding surface.

After that apply Fuel Tank Sealer

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ET ... os_product 12.50
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001NG ... os_product 21.50

First I ran a solution of CLR and let it set for a day, then did the same thing with the Metal Ready. After rinsing several time, put a blow dryer in the inlet hole on low, let it set for a day then sealed it.
worked like a peach.

Snubbers ( front and rear suspension )

These are the cone shaped rubber suspension max travel stoppers 2 for the rear axle attached to the frame and 4 for the independent front suspension.

These are dimensionally the same.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BW ... 01_details 17.23
Note: The attachment is different - single embedded bolt ( On the Cord these are glued to a plate )

For the rear - no big deal, just reuse the old plate ( hole should be there ) and drill a releif in the wooden block for the nut.

For the front - With regret, I drilled and tapped a 3/8 inch hole in each of the 4 mounting plates, didn't know what else to do in this case, but the snubbers attached cleanly ( I also added loc tight on the threads and some rubber cement on the mating surfaces to ensure no back out )

Front Spring Insulators ( donuts )
Mine were shot, but I could not find an acceptable replacement. I was able to find a large square piece of 3/8" black rubber ( the old good rubber made in the USA a long time ago ), anyhow using 2 diameters of hole saw I created an insulator sandwich ( small / large / small ) that worked great, if anyone is completely stuck here, let me know I might be able to make you a set.

Hubcaps
My hubcaps were badly dented, one had a gash in it. I know there is a member with new ones, but I thought I try fixing them myself...
Bought a planishing hammer.

www.harborfreight.com/planishing ... 96300.html 36 bucks
www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic- ... 94847.html 99 bucks

The hard part was releasing the spot welded insert.

Modify a medium sized cold chisel for the job ( slightly grind one side of the point, so that it's forms an nice and gentle slope to the point ). I did this because I needed to get underneath the insert to release the spot weld. Take your time! my hubcaps rested on a blanket, once I found a spot weld attack it from the sides ( too much pressure directly from the top may cause the chisel to penetrate the hubcap itself - I found that out ) Don't worry about deforming the insert, the planishing hammer straightens that right out.

The Planish away ( yes its louder than hell, but adding the sand into the stand and the hammer does lessen the noise )

If there is a gash you need to weld, remember set the welder to the minimum settings, take your time, then planish again.

Chrome? not there yet, will either send it out or buy a home system ( need to read up on what the EPA has to say about that first ) but I found some triple chrome home kits from 500 - 1000 bucks + so I'll see .