Skip to main content

Cord Fuel pump

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
02 Aug 2013 01:14 #25665 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Fuel Pump
I don't know what was wrong with my brain when I said that the fuel pump with the built in filter screen wouldn't work. It will work, so if you want an all new fuel pump which can handle the modern fuels this should do it. Both of them will work but 59-9350 looks like the one that came with the cars.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
30 Jul 2013 19:14 #25649 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic fuel pump
I took my new fuel pump, 59A-9350, out of the box to rotate it so I could install it and found a problem. When I rotated the top, the inlet and outlets were not in the right place. I could hook things up but it would be wrong and look weird, so I left the 11A-9350 fuel pump in place. It has work fine for the last four years or so. Sorry for the bad advise.

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
10 Jul 2013 22:59 #25556 by Tom Georgeson
Pat is right. An electric pump is the way to go though I'm not sure I would pull the valves on the pump. I had my electrical pump go out on a trip but still could drive with the original one.

• Pat Leahy
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2013 19:01 #25554 by Pat Leahy
Replied by Pat Leahy on topic Fuel pump
All FC engines (supercharged) and later FB engines have side mount fuel pumps. If you want to use this mechanical pump, send it to Then and Now for rebuild as discussed before. They do excellent work and have all the parts in alcohol resistant materials. I would suggest that you use an electric inline pump and keep the mechanical pump in place but remove check valves. In my experience a modern inline electric pump is the way to go for regular driving.

Pat Leahy

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
09 Jul 2013 17:38 #25553 by Tom Georgeson
The arm that works the pump is different on the those that sit on top of the engine from those that are located on the right side of the engine. It has been years since I had an engine with the pump on the side but from what I remember you might be able to used pieces from your old pump to convert it. I'm sure someone with more knowledge could answer this question.

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2013 17:09 #25549 by Mike Markin
Replied by Mike Markin on topic Cord Fuel pump
Tom,
For clarification purposes, what do you mean that the Drake pump won't work if it is mounted on the side of the engine? My current pump is on the right side near the firewall. Thanks

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2013 06:19 #25547 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic Cord fuel pump
Mike, I have used one of the earlier pumps for over 4,000 miles on our 1936 Westchester and never had any trouble. The reason I'm putting the later pump on is to make the engine look like the ones the Cords had. These pumps won't work on engine blocks that have the pumps on the side of the blocks as the arm is wrong. They are also able to handle the modern fuels.

• mikespeed35
  • ACD Club Life Member
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2013 02:27 #25546 by mikespeed35
Replied by mikespeed35 on topic Cord Fuel pump
Tom, is the arm the same for the Ford pump and Cord? It seems strange Cord would buy special pumps rather than just using already produced Ford Pumps at probably less cost.
CORDially Mike

Mike Huffman

• Dan DiTullio
  • Registered
More
08 Jul 2013 00:39 #25545 by Dan DiTullio
Replied by Dan DiTullio on topic Cord fuel pump
Mike,

Then and Now Automotive has fuel pump kits for your pump. See there web site www.maritimedragracing.com/then_ ... motive.htm

Dan

• Tom Georgeson
  • Registered
More
07 Jul 2013 19:52 #25544 by Tom Georgeson
Replied by Tom Georgeson on topic 810-812 Cord fuel pump
For years I have used a Ford fuel pump that was used on early Ford V-8 built from 1933 to early 1946. It was the type that was used on a Cord display engine but not used in Cord production. I have just gotten a Ford V-8 fuel pump that was used on Fords from late 1946-48. It looks like the original Cord pump and will fit the Cord stand. With both of these pumps you have to rotate the housing so the inlet and outlet openings will be facing the right way. You can get these pumps from Bob Drake Reproductions, Inc. of Grants Pass Oregon. They cost $48.50 the last time I looked. The address is 1819 N.W. Washington Blvd, Grants Pass, Oregon 97526. You can go to the web site www.bobdrake.com to see them. The part number for the early pump is 11A-9350. The later pump part number is 59-A 9350.

• Mike Markin
  • Topic Author
  • Registered
More
06 Jul 2013 19:26 #25542 by Mike Markin
Cord Fuel pump was created by Mike Markin
My fuel pump is in need of either rebuilding or replacement. Any idea where I can get a rebuild kit? As an alternative, what pumps are inter changable?
Thanks