How Do outside Door Hanldes Come Off

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2014 16:52 #27937 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic How Do outside Door Hanldes Come Off
Well after letting the Aerokrol sit overnite the flat springs were able to be compressed several times. I don't think these handles have ever been removed since the factory installed them so that a few years back now. Anyway I ground a screwdriver to "fit" and it made all the difference. Of course I got the top spring and that end poped out of the door and then went to the harder underside spring. It came out easy. Had to apply some leverage on the handle to get it to slip out of the lock mechanism. Once that was out I figured out which "window" in the door the lock came out of. Looks really clean ans rust free for being so old. Thanks again for the advise on getting this out. Once I know the tricks I'm able to pass it along.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
10 Aug 2014 03:42 #27936 by 1748 S
Replied by 1748 S on topic How Do outside Door Hanldes Come Off
Thanks for the information. I did "find" the tabs. Looks like they are a flat spring material. So far everything I have tried has not made them move at all. So some aplication of Aerokroil and allowed to sit. Maybe they will be easier to work loose so the handle can slip out the door. I may end up modifying a pair of long reach hog ring needle nose pliars. Horrible Freight here I come...

• Tim Gilmartin
  • ACD Club Past President
  • Registered
More
09 Aug 2014 01:16 #27932 by Tim Gilmartin
Replied by Tim Gilmartin on topic Door handles
Yes. You found the two holes. Use a flashlight to look inside. You will notice two tabs, one on top, and one on the bottom of the handle part on the inside. Using a screwdriver or something similar, push down on the tabs....carefully!!
They have a tendency to break as they are old and brittle. That action should release the handle.
Tim.

• 1748 S
  • Topic Author
  • Platinum Forum User
  • Registered
More
08 Aug 2014 22:30 #27928 by 1748 S
How Do outside Door Hanldes Come Off was created by 1748 S
I'm trying to remove the outside door handles on my Cord sedan. So far I have removed all the screws found inside and on the door edge plus the top window felt guide strip. Still nothing but it has become looser. Does the 2 holes in the edge of the door mean anthing like an area to get to an inside the door clip. Any help will be great. Thanks.. I have the windows out and the door panels are off.